Back EMF Equation and Calculating A/C Starter Current | Homework Example

In summary, the Back EMF (Electromotive Force) equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the relationship between a motor's speed and the voltage applied to it. It is specifically related to DC motors and helps us understand their behavior and performance. It is also used in motor control systems to regulate speed and can be applied to other types of motors with some modifications.
Girn

Homework Statement

An A/C starter has a 12V supply & a back EMF of 6V. If the resistance is 0.1 ohms, calculate current during start-up & while in operation

Homework Equations

E=IR
Not sure what else? Sorry I am stuck.

The Attempt at a Solution

Start up current
E=IR
12V=I x .01
I = 120A

operating current
6V=I x .01
I = 60A

Physics news on Phys.org
Girn said:
Start up current
E=IR
12V=I x .01
I = 120A

operating current
6V=I x .01
I = 60A
Looks correct.

Girn said:
An A/C starter has a 12V supply & a back EMF of 6V.
What is A/C an abbreviation for?

1. What is Back EMF equation?

The Back EMF (Electromotive Force) equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between a motor's speed and the voltage applied to it. It is also known as the "counter-electromotive force" equation and is used to calculate the amount of voltage generated by a motor when it is in motion.

2. How is Back EMF equation related to DC motors?

The Back EMF equation is specifically related to DC (Direct Current) motors. When a DC motor is in operation, the rotation of its armature creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets in the motor. This interaction generates a voltage, which is described by the Back EMF equation.

3. What is the significance of Back EMF equation?

The Back EMF equation is important because it helps us understand the behavior of DC motors and how they convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. It also allows us to calculate the speed and performance of a motor based on the voltage applied to it.

4. How is Back EMF equation used in motor control systems?

In motor control systems, the Back EMF equation is used to regulate the speed of a motor by adjusting the voltage applied to it. By monitoring the voltage generated by the motor, the control system can make adjustments to maintain a consistent speed, even as the load on the motor changes.

5. Can the Back EMF equation be applied to other types of motors?

While the Back EMF equation is primarily used for DC motors, it can also be applied to other types of motors that use permanent magnets, such as brushless DC motors and synchronous motors. However, the equation may need to be modified slightly to account for different motor configurations and operating conditions.