Mechanics Problem: Plot the path for s(t)=At-Bt^2+Ct^3

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the path, velocity, and acceleration of a body after 2 seconds from the beginning of its motion, given the function s(t) = At - Bt^2 + Ct^3 where A, B, and C are known constants. The formula for velocity and acceleration are provided, but there is confusion about calculating after 2 seconds. The expert clarifies that the question is asking for the position at 2 seconds, which is represented by s(t).
prehisto

Homework Statement

hi,guys!
Problem:
s(t)=At-Bt^2+Ct^3,where A,B,C is know constants.
What is the path,velocity and accelartion after 2s from beginning of motion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So
v(t)=s'(t)
a(t)=s''(t)

But where i get confuzed is when I am asked to calculate v,s,a after 2s.
If i would calculate s(t=2s),v(t=2s),a(t=2s) it would be at time 2s not after 2s,am i right? so how to calculate after 2s?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine that you start the stopwatch at the instant the motion starts. The time t is the reading on the stopwatch. When 2 s elapsed after the start, the reading is 2 s. Just substitute t= 2s.

ehild

Likes prehisto
prehisto said:

Homework Statement

hi,guys!
Problem:
s(t)=At-Bt^2+Ct^3,where A,B,C is know constants.
What is the path,velocity and accelartion after 2s from beginning of motion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So
v(t)=s'(t)
a(t)=s''(t)

But where i get confuzed is when I am asked to calculate v,s,a after 2s.
If i would calculate s(t=2s),v(t=2s),a(t=2s) it would be at time 2s not after 2s,am i right? so how to calculate after 2s?
This is semantics. They meant "at" 2 s.

15866375797331091037070.jpg

But I can't find the path of the body.Do you know?

The "path" is the location of the object at any time. This is what is described by s(t), which is the position at time t.

Zz.

Isn't path supposed to be the trajectory of the body?S(t) represents the instantaneous position of the body.

Rongeet Banerjee said:
Isn't path supposed to be the trajectory of the body?S(t) represents the instantaneous position of the body.

But what's the difference? You are only given s(t), not x(t), y(t), and z(t) so that you can plot out the "path" in 3D.

Look carefully at the question. The mentioning of the "path" is followed by "velocity" and "acceleration", which all came out of s(t). So s(t) is what the question is asking for from my perspective.

Zz.

Likes Rongeet Banerjee
Oh I got it
☺️👍.Thank You

Attachments

• 15866386582671425407293.jpg
    15866386582671425407293.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 115
ZapperZ said:
The "path" is the location of the object at any time. This is what is described by s(t), which is the position at time t.

Zz.
Yes, the path is s as a function of t, but the question asks for the path at 2 seconds, which makes no sense. It must mean position.

Likes Rongeet Banerjee and nrqed
Oh right.I have actually found the position.

1. What is the equation for the path of an object with changing velocity?

The equation for the path is s(t)=At-Bt^2+Ct^3, where A, B, and C are constants that depend on the initial position and velocity of the object.

2. How does the acceleration affect the shape of the path?

Acceleration affects the shape of the path by changing the values of the constants A, B, and C in the equation. If the acceleration is positive, the path will be concave up (U-shaped), while a negative acceleration will result in a concave down (n-shaped) path.

3. Can this equation be used for any type of motion?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of motion as long as the acceleration is constant. However, in cases where the acceleration is changing, a more complex equation, such as s(t)=∫(v(t))dt, would need to be used.

4. How can I determine the initial position and velocity from the path equation?

The initial position can be determined by plugging in t=0 into the equation and solving for s(0). The initial velocity can be found by taking the derivative of the path equation, which is v(t)=A-2Bt+3Ct^2. Therefore, the initial velocity can be calculated by plugging in t=0 into the derivative and solving for v(0).

5. Can I use this equation to predict the future position of an object?

Yes, this equation can be used to predict the future position of an object as long as the acceleration remains constant. However, in reality, the acceleration of an object may change due to external forces, so the prediction may not be entirely accurate.