Back to Undergrad to study Physics?

In summary: I decided to teach myself physics using ......Physics by Giancoli. I literally read the first 700 pages of that book and did almost every practice problem and loved every second of it. However, this occurred during my final year of undergrad, making it especially difficult to change my major and do something else.Your experience with physics in undergrad was bad, but picking up physics from scratch and enjoying it is a good sign. If you're still undecided about your future, you should consider obtaining a degree in physics at the undergraduate level. Doing so would give you a strong foundation in the field and make it easier for you to decide whether you want to pursue a career in physics or another field.
nerdyman123
Hello Physics forum!

I've been lurking around on here for the past few months and finally mustered up the courage to ask this question to you all. To the mods, I apologize if this is in the wrong section!

Some background: I recently graduated with a degree in Psychology due to the fact that I was Pre-Med. However, having taken the MCAT recently, I've begun to doubt my passion to do Medicine. To be honest, I've been pressured into it as my elder siblings are all in Medical School/Doctors. My true passion lies with Physics, and after having a bad experience with it in undergrad (my General Physics professor was TERRIBLE), I decided to teach myself physics using Physics by Giancoli. I literally read the first 700 pages of that book and did almost every practice problem and loved every second of it. However, this occurred during my final year of undergrad, making it especially difficult to change my major and do something else.

As of today, I am still applying to medical schools but I am hesitant on moving forward. Even if I get accepted I REALLY want to get a physics degree. So, my question is, how do I move forward? Is it possible for me to apply to an upper tier school for undergrad to major in physics? As of right now, a masters and PhD are out of the question because I am lacking an undergraduate degree in Physics. Therefore, what should I do?

To end off, I have great work ethic. I've taken upper level Bio classes (graduate level) and have aced all. To state it simply, my cumulative GPA in undergrad was a 4.0 out of 4.0. Pre-Med prerequisites usually include Gen Chem, Gen Physics, Organic Chem, and Gen Bio, so I have a pretty strong foundation when it comes to the chemistry aspect of Physics. I've always loved theoretical physics and have read several of Brian Greene's books about String Theory and Parallel Universes. So, I'm not just some guy who likes physics for a semester and moves on, I truly believe it is my calling.

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a mistake by listening to your family. Doing something not because you love it is a recipe for failure. Even if you did well on the MCAT, if you know you aren't going to enjoy the medical profession, there is no point in continuing it. The solution for you right now seems to be going to some university to study physics at the undergrad level. Maybe you can get some transfer credit for the math and physics courses you took in your premed and graduate a semester early. However, you may not get into an "upper tier" university. But honestly your undergraduate years don't matter much unless you went to some university no one has ever heard of.

By the way, if you went through Giancoli and really enjoyed it, that's good. But don't pick physics solely because you like those popular science books. They make a poor depiction about what physics is, at least at the start. You can't start with doing string theory research, you have to work your way up there (which takes a lot of time and effort).

Rocket50 said:
By the way, if you went through Giancoli and really enjoyed it, that's good. But don't pick physics solely because you like those popular science books.

Giancoli is a real introductory physics textbook, actually two of them, one which doesn't use calculus:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321625927/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and one which does use calculus:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131495089/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Upper-level undergraduate physics courses are significantly more challenging, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, yeah, it's a long way from either Giancoli book to string theory. It's also a pretty significant step up from Giancoli to upper-level undergrad books like Griffiths (E&M), Griffiths (QM), Marion (classical mechanics), Schroeder (thermo), etc.; then to graduate-level books like Jackson (E&M), Goldstein (classical mechanics); and then to the "fun stuff" like string theory. :smile: It's something you have to navigate one step at a time and decide whether you want to continue another step.

nerdyman123 said:
Some background: I recently graduated with a degree in Psychology due to the fact that I was Pre-Med. However, having taken the MCAT recently, I've begun to doubt my passion to do Medicine. To be honest, I've been pressured into it as my elder siblings are all in Medical School/Doctors.
I think it's good you're thinking about this. If you're not into medicine, you'll probably regret staying on your current path, which will involve a lot of work and end with a job you only tolerate or, worse, hate.

My true passion lies with Physics, and after having a bad experience with it in undergrad (my General Physics professor was TERRIBLE), I decided to teach myself physics using Physics by Giancoli. I literally read the first 700 pages of that book and did almost every practice problem and loved every second of it. However, this occurred during my final year of undergrad, making it especially difficult to change my major and do something else.
If you took the typical intro physics courses pre-med students take, it's usually a poor experience because there's too much material crammed into one year for students who are not physics-inclined. Is Giancoli the book they used in that course?

As of today, I am still applying to medical schools but I am hesitant on moving forward. Even if I get accepted I REALLY want to get a physics degree. So, my question is, how do I move forward? Is it possible for me to apply to an upper tier school for undergrad to major in physics? As of right now, a masters and PhD are out of the question because I am lacking an undergraduate degree in Physics. Therefore, what should I do?
Can you go back to your undergrad institution for a second baccalaureate?

Most top schools will not consider admitting someone for a second bachelors degree. Can you stay at your own school and pick up another major, graduating late?

eri said:
Most top schools will not consider admitting someone for a second bachelors degree. Can you stay at your own school and pick up another major, graduating late?

He already graduated.

Rocket50 said:
You made a mistake by listening to your family. Doing something not because you love it is a recipe for failure. Even if you did well on the MCAT, if you know you aren't going to enjoy the medical profession, there is no point in continuing it. The solution for you right now seems to be going to some university to study physics at the undergrad level. Maybe you can get some transfer credit for the math and physics courses you took in your premed and graduate a semester early. However, you may not get into an "upper tier" university. But honestly your undergraduate years don't matter much unless you went to some university no one has ever heard of.

By the way, if you went through Giancoli and really enjoyed it, that's good. But don't pick physics solely because you like those popular science books. They make a poor depiction about what physics is, at least at the start. You can't start with doing string theory research, you have to work your way up there (which takes a lot of time and effort).

Without a doubt. I was born into a South-Asian family and for my entire existence (I'm 21), I've been told that Medical School is my only path/choice. Yet, if I am not passionate about Medicine, becoming a physician would be more of a liability to others considering I wouldn't be motivated to actually learn.

I completely understand, Physics is a lot more complex than Giancoli, but, I strongly believe I enjoy that stuff or at least, would love to get to that stage.

jtbell said:
Upper-level undergraduate physics courses are significantly more challenging, of course.

Agreed, the first book I bought was University Physics with Modern Physics by Young, Freedman, and Ford - which had calculus in it. However, because the MCAT required me to know Physics from a conceptual standpoint, I decided to go with Giancoli which was a little more friendly. I have taken Calculus I before and ended up with the highest grade in my class, math would not be too much of an issue.

vela said:
I think it's good you're thinking about this. If you're not into medicine, you'll probably regret staying on your current path, which will involve a lot of work and end with a job you only tolerate or, worse, hate.

If you took the typical intro physics courses pre-med students take, it's usually a poor experience because there's too much material crammed into one year for students who are not physics-inclined. Is Giancoli the book they used in that course?

Can you go back to your undergrad institution for a second baccalaureate?

Yes, I had the unfortunate experience of taking General Physics I and II with lab during undergrad with a professor that did NOT use any textbook, did not provide good notes, did not teach physics at all but spent the entire class talking about himself and how great he was. The class was every Tuesday and Thursday for an hour and a half, but he would cut it short to 30 minute classes or less. Horrible experience. The other pre-meds that I knew didn't have to work that hard with physics because they took AP level in high school. I was not one of those students.

So I decided to learn physics on my own and picked up Giancoli (my second physics book). I loved every second of reading that book, practicing problems, and making over a 200 Flashcards packed with conceptual information from each section of each chapter.

I am not sure about going back to the school I graduated from, simply because the Physics department is poorly managed. Therefore, I was hoping someone else with a similar experience to mine would post what they did and how they managed the shift. I would love to go to a school that is at least a step above the one I went to.

Last edited:
You both misunderstood me. The popular science books were Brian Greene's string theory and parallel universe books. :)

Last edited:
Rocket50 said:
You both misunderstood me. The popular science books were Bell Greene's string theory and parallel universe books. :)

Right, I still got the crux of your point. Coincidentally I saw this video that made the statement all too true. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfxfnokQuLM
at the 2 minute mark lol.

In case it is of some help, I hava friend doing premed who later decided of doing computer science. He switched schools and is currently in second year IIRC.

eri said:
Most top schools will not consider admitting someone for a second bachelors degree.

This. I would also encourage you to talk to the schools where they say they admit such students, and find out if they truly do - in physics. Many schools that have a policy to admit 2nd bachelors seekers often restrict the majors they can enter. I would call both the admissions office and the physics department.

nerdyman123 said:
Agreed, the first book I bought was University Physics with Modern Physics by Young, Freedman, and Ford - which had calculus in it. However, because the MCAT required me to know Physics from a conceptual standpoint, I decided to go with Giancoli which was a little more friendly. I have taken Calculus I before and ended up with the highest grade in my class, math would not be too much of an issue.
Have you tried working through University Physics? That'll prepare you better for taking upper-division physics courses.

Like you, after I graduated with a BS, I knew that while I wanted to do graduate work in a different field. While I worked, I took classes through the university's extension program. Basically, the university would let me take any of the regular courses as long as I forked up the money. The plan was to apply to grad school for math after I had gotten adequate preparation, even though I wouldn't have BS in math. Doing something like that might be another option for you, though it could be a very expensive way to go.

eri said:

That isn't necessarily true. I know a girl who actually went back to undergrad twice. Or more like she never really left. Just kept getting degrees and then applying to another school after a year off and repeat. She got three different undergrad degrees from three different top 30-type schools (at least one was in chem, I forget what the others were in, one might have been math). She might have even gone for a fourth actually hah, I forget, but actually it might have been her fourth when she arrived at my school to get a chem degree. Of course staying extra long to pick up a second major can also be possible, although some schools get fierce since long times to graduation hurt their US News rankings (another reason why the ranking methodology can be silly), but at some places you can stay for five or six years.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between studying Physics at the undergraduate level versus the graduate level?

Studying Physics at the undergraduate level typically involves more foundational courses and a broad understanding of various subfields within Physics. Graduate-level studies, on the other hand, focus on a specific area of Physics and involve more advanced coursework, research, and specialization.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to study Physics at the undergraduate level?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is essential for studying Physics at the undergraduate level. Many concepts in Physics rely heavily on mathematical equations and calculations, so a solid understanding of algebra, calculus, and other math principles is necessary.

3. Will I be able to conduct research as an undergraduate Physics student?

It is possible to conduct research as an undergraduate Physics student, but it may depend on the specific university or institution. Some universities offer research opportunities for undergraduate students, while others may reserve research positions for graduate students.

4. Can I still pursue a career in Physics if I didn't major in it during my undergraduate studies?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in Physics even if you did not major in it during your undergraduate studies. Many graduate programs in Physics accept students from diverse academic backgrounds, and there are also opportunities to gain experience and training through internships or post-baccalaureate programs.

5. What types of job opportunities are available for those with an undergraduate degree in Physics?

An undergraduate degree in Physics can prepare students for a variety of careers in fields such as research, engineering, education, and technology. Graduates may also pursue opportunities in government agencies, consulting firms, and other sectors that require analytical and problem-solving skills.