Finding the Maximum Length of a .110 kg Remote

In summary, the problem involves a 0.110 kg remote with a length of 21.0 cm resting on a table. A force of 0.365 N is applied to the power button at the end of the remote. By setting up equations for the forces and lengths involved, it is possible to determine how far the remote can extend beyond the table without tipping over.
mr_octo
A .110 kg remote that is 21.0 cm long rests on a table. It has a length L1 overhanging the edge of a table. A force of .365 N pushes the power button (located at the end of the remote overhanging the table). How far can the remote extend beyond the table and not tip over? (the mass is evenly distributed)

So far, I've come up with
M2L2g=.365 N+M1L1g
M1+M2=.110 kg
L1+L2=.21 m

and if you change eq. 2 to incoroporate g
(M1+M2)g=1.078 N

It would seem I need one more equation to solve for 4 variables (although I only need one of them solved). I think I'm overlooking something obvious. Any ideas? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If L1 is hanging over the edge of the table, that means
L2 = 21.0cm - L1.
Since the mass is evenly distributed, you can say that
L1/21.0 = M1/0.110kg.
Also, M2 = 0.110kg - M1.

Now you just have 1 variable.

It seems like you have the right equations set up, but you are missing the equation for torque. Torque is equal to the force applied (in this case, 0.365 N) multiplied by the distance from the point of rotation (the edge of the table) to the point where the force is applied (L1). This can be expressed as T = F * L1.

In order to prevent the remote from tipping over, the torque from the force pushing the power button must be balanced by the torque from the weight of the remote. This can be expressed as T = M2 * L2 * g, where M2 is the mass of the overhanging part of the remote and L2 is the distance from the edge of the table to the end of the remote.

So, your third equation would be T = F * L1 = M2 * L2 * g.

Now, you have three equations with three unknowns (L1, L2, and M2), and you can solve for the maximum value of L1 that will prevent the remote from tipping over. I hope this helps!

1. How do I find the maximum length of a .110 kg remote?

The maximum length of a .110 kg remote can be found by using the formula L = √(m/g), where L is the length in meters, m is the mass in kilograms, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. Why is it important to find the maximum length of a .110 kg remote?

Knowing the maximum length of a .110 kg remote is important for safety reasons. It ensures that the remote can be used safely without causing any harm or damage due to its weight and length.

3. Can the maximum length of a .110 kg remote vary?

Yes, the maximum length of a .110 kg remote can vary depending on the specific remote's design and material. It may also vary in different environments due to changes in the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors can affect the maximum length of a .110 kg remote?

The maximum length of a .110 kg remote can be affected by the mass of the remote, the material it is made of, and the acceleration due to gravity in the environment it is being used in.

5. Is there a limit to the maximum length of a .110 kg remote?

There is no specific limit to the maximum length of a .110 kg remote. However, it is important to consider safety and practicality when determining the length of a remote to ensure it can be used comfortably and without causing harm or damage.