Ball and Ramp. Kinetic Energy. Friction.Angular Momentum and Velocity.

In summary: In this problem, you are assuming that the cylinder does not rotate because of friction. However, if you have a piece of paper that is sliding across the top of the cylinder, the friction between the paper and the cylinder will cause the cylinder to rotate.
punyhuman92

Homework Statement

http://landau.physics.fsu.edu/capstick/teaching/2048C-Fall11/Final/Spring09.pdf

Homework Equations

U_g= mgh
K.E=1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2
U_gi=KE_f
I=1/2MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got as far as far as d then realized that i didn't do anything to include the friction, I am unsure how to include the friction.

For A i know the total kinetic energy at the bottom of the ramp has to be equal to the potential energy at the top but what I am not sure how to account for the energy lost by heat ie friction. how fast is the ball moving i would use mgh=1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2 and plug in the inertia for a solid cylinder and solve for v
then i would plug v into find the angular velocity and would velocity to find momentum*r to find angular momentum.

then d says to assume there is no friction.
HELP !

Physics news on Phys.org
Also let me know if the link works. Thanks

"For A i know the total kinetic energy at the bottom of the ramp has to be equal to the potential energy at the top but what I am not sure how to account for the energy lost by heat ie friction. how fast is the ball moving i would use mgh=1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2 and plug in the inertia for a solid cylinder and solve for v
then i would plug v into find the angular velocity and would velocity to find momentum*r to find angular momentum".

What you state above is correct except for the part about heat. In this problem you would assume there is no sliding so no heat is generated. If there is no sliding, no heat is generated.

For the case of no friction, think about what makes the cylinder rotate.

What is a ball and ramp?

A ball and ramp is a simple machine that consists of a sloped ramp and a ball that rolls down the ramp due to the force of gravity. This setup is commonly used to study the effects of kinetic energy and friction.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of a ball and ramp, the ball gains kinetic energy as it rolls down the ramp due to the force of gravity.

How does friction affect the motion of a ball on a ramp?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces. In the case of a ball and ramp, friction between the ball and the ramp slows down the ball's motion, converting some of its kinetic energy into heat.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. In the case of a ball and ramp, the ball's angular momentum increases as it rolls down the ramp due to the change in its rotational speed.

How does velocity affect the motion of a ball on a ramp?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction. In the case of a ball and ramp, the ball's velocity increases as it rolls down the ramp due to the force of gravity pulling it in a downward direction.