Ball and Ramp. Kinetic Energy. Friction.Angular Momentum and Velocity.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
punyhuman92
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



http://landau.physics.fsu.edu/capstick/teaching/2048C-Fall11/Final/Spring09.pdf

Homework Equations



U_g= mgh
K.E=1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2
U_gi=KE_f
I=1/2MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution



I got as far as far as d then realized that i didn't do anything to include the friction, I am unsure how to include the friction.

For A i know the total kinetic energy at the bottom of the ramp has to be equal to the potential energy at the top but what I am not sure how to account for the energy lost by heat ie friction. how fast is the ball moving i would use mgh=1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2 and plug in the inertia for a solid cylinder and solve for v
then i would plug v into find the angular velocity and would velocity to find momentum*r to find angular momentum.

then d says to assume there is no friction.
HELP !
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"For A i know the total kinetic energy at the bottom of the ramp has to be equal to the potential energy at the top but what I am not sure how to account for the energy lost by heat ie friction. how fast is the ball moving i would use mgh=1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2 and plug in the inertia for a solid cylinder and solve for v
then i would plug v into find the angular velocity and would velocity to find momentum*r to find angular momentum".

What you state above is correct except for the part about heat. In this problem you would assume there is no sliding so no heat is generated. If there is no sliding, no heat is generated.

For the case of no friction, think about what makes the cylinder rotate.