What Is the Mechanical Device That Uses a Ball Bearing on a Track?

In summary, The conversation discussed a mechanical device that involves a ball bearing going down a ramp, through loops, up and down pulleys, and moving on a metal rail. The term "Rube Goldberg device" was mentioned, but it was determined that the generic term for such a device is a kinetic sculpture. The specific device mentioned may be the "Gravitram," and it was noted that the original is located in Portland, OR. The conversation also touched upon the definition of a Rube Goldberg device and mentioned the inventor, Reuben Lucius Goldberg.
Voxynn
Does anyone know the name for a mechanical device where a ball bearing is made to go down a ramp, through loops, up and down pulleys etc, while moving on a metal rail?

My first thought was a Rube Goldberg device, but I don't think that's it.

Richard

Physics news on Phys.org
Voxynn said:
Does anyone know the name for a mechanical device where a ball bearing is made to go down a ramp, through loops, up and down pulleys etc, while moving on a metal rail?

Richard
Rube Goldberg refers to a complicated, the more complicated the better, for achieving a simple goal. I believe you're describing a Rube Goldberg device.

Enjoy -

Last edited by a moderator:
Voxynn said:

Richard
I think the generic term for such a device is a kinetic sculpture.

Sounds like the old game "Mousetrap".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMzbRkWGLv0

The particular kinetic sculpture described sounds like it might be the "Gravitram".

Gravitram-OMSI-w-Shab.jpg

I'm wearing a ball bearing device right now.

Evo said:
Is this it janus?

Yep, that's what I'm thinking about, I just don't know if this is what the OP is looking for.
By the way, http://www.omsi.edu/" , the home of the original Gravitram is located right here in Portland, OR.

I don't think that kinetic sculpture can be considered a Rube Goldberg device, because the latter is a device meant to accomplish a simple task in a ridiculously complex fashion. Maybe a very complex gumball vending machine could be, but even then...

Anyway, it can't be bad any time the name of Reuben Lucius Goldberg is mentioned.

rube-goldberg.jpg

Janus said:
Yep, that's what I'm thinking about, I just don't know if this is what the OP is looking for.
By the way, http://www.omsi.edu/" , the home of the original Gravitram is located right here in Portland, OR.

I thought it looked familiar! My son and I saw it in action while visiting my brother. :)

1. What is a ball bearing device?

A ball bearing device is a mechanical component that is used to reduce friction between two moving parts. It typically consists of a series of small metal balls held in a circular track, which allows for smooth and efficient movement.

2. How does a ball bearing device work?

A ball bearing device works by using the rolling motion of the metal balls to reduce friction between two surfaces. This allows for smoother and more efficient movement, making it an important component in many mechanical systems.

3. What are the benefits of using a ball bearing device?

The main benefit of using a ball bearing device is the reduction of friction, which can lead to increased efficiency and longevity of machinery. It also allows for smoother and quieter movement, as well as improved precision and accuracy.

4. What are some common applications of ball bearing devices?

Ball bearing devices are commonly used in a wide range of machinery, including automobiles, industrial equipment, and household appliances. They are also used in many types of tools and equipment, such as drills, saws, and bicycles.

5. How do I choose the right ball bearing device for my needs?

When choosing a ball bearing device, it is important to consider factors such as load capacity, speed requirements, and the environment in which it will be used. It is also important to choose a reputable and reliable manufacturer to ensure the quality and durability of the device.