Understanding the Acceleration of a Thrown Ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the acceleration of a ball thrown straight up in the air and caught in the same hand. The initial question asks what the acceleration of the ball is at the top of the throw when it starts to fall back down. The individual believes it is zero due to the lack of energy, but is unsure. Another person explains that while the velocity is zero at the top, the acceleration is not. The discussion then turns to the idea of the ball being suspended in mid-air, but it is concluded that both the velocity and acceleration must be zero for that to happen.
steviedee
Hi,

I have a problem that needs explanation.

A ball is thrown straight up in the air, and then falls back down into your hand. What is the ball's acceleration at the top of the throw? i.e when it has just started to come back down again from being thrown up. I assume the acceleration is zero as i think there is no energy at that point...but i think I'm wrong..

thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
At the top of the throw the velocity is zero, not the acceleration.

can you explain why the acceleration isn't zero as well? i think that when the ball is thrown from the hand it goes a positive acceleration as it goes up and a negative acceleration as it goes down, but that point where it goes from going up to going down should the acceleration not also be zero at that point?

If at the top, both velocity and acceleration are 0, this means that the ball would suspended in mid-air, because it's velocity (0) does not change.

is it not suspended in mid air for a split second when it reaches the very top of its ascent and begins it descent?

If it's suspended for a split second it means that it's velocity is zero, but not that it's acceleration is zero. If both are zero then it'll be suspended forever (unless it's also possible that the time derivative of acceleration is non-zero at that point).

FAQ: Understanding the Acceleration of a Thrown Ball

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration related to a thrown ball?

When a ball is thrown, it experiences a force in the direction of its movement, causing it to accelerate. This acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = (v - u) / t, where a is acceleration, v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a thrown ball?

The acceleration of a thrown ball is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is thrown, air resistance, and the force applied to the ball.

4. How does air resistance affect the acceleration of a thrown ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts opposite to the direction of motion of an object. As a thrown ball moves through the air, it experiences air resistance, which can decrease its acceleration. This is why objects with less surface area, such as a bullet, can maintain a higher acceleration than objects with more surface area, such as a feather, when thrown with the same force.

5. Why is understanding acceleration important in sports?

Understanding acceleration is important in sports because it helps athletes improve their performance. By understanding the factors that affect acceleration, athletes can adjust their technique to achieve greater acceleration and therefore throw the ball farther or faster. Additionally, understanding acceleration can help coaches and trainers develop effective training programs to improve an athlete's throwing abilities.