Ball Rolling Down a Slope: How Does Output Angle Affect Distance Traveled?

In summary, if the ball is at the top of the incline and at an angle x relative to the ground, it will have a total energy of mgh. The ball will have a linear velocity of v, and a rotational velocity of r\omega.
nisse pisse

Homework Statement

If you put a ball somewhere on a slope and it rolls down, how far will it go when the ramp is at some hight over the ground and the output angle is something.Do not take in account friction or air resistance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When u put the ball in the slope it should have the possible energy of mgh relative to the output, and at the putput it should be (mv^2)/2.
So if the output angle should be 0 the output speed should be (2gh)^0.5.
Then the distance should be the ((2gh)^0.5)*(2s/g)^0.5 where s is the height from the output from the slope to the ground.
I wonder how the output angle will effect this, the ball will get some speed vertically aswell.
Some tips or help would be nice :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand this problem, because if you're ignoring air resistance and friction, wouldn't it just go on forever? Is the question really asking for the distance the ball will roll?

Im sry, I mean when the ball first touches the ground.The slope is above the ground at some height (s) .

nisse pisse said:

Homework Statement

If you put a ball somewhere on a slope and it rolls down, how far will it go when the ramp is at some hight over the ground and the output angle is something.Do not take in account friction or air resistance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When u put the ball in the slope it should have the possible energy of mgh relative to the output, and at the putput it should be (mv^2)/2.
So if the output angle should be 0 the output speed should be (2gh)^0.5.
Then the distance should be the ((2gh)^0.5)*(2s/g)^0.5 where s is the height from the output from the slope to the ground.
I wonder how the output angle will effect this, the ball will get some speed vertically aswell.
Some tips or help would be nice :)

Suppose the ball starts at height, h, on the incline, inclined at angle x. We can make a list of facts first

-energy is conserved and transfered
-gravitational potential energy is converted into linear and rotational kinetic energy
-assuming that friction is strong enough that the ball does not slip, then it will not lose energy to friction
-the total change in energy is equal to the change in gravitational potential energy, rotational kinetic, and linear kinetic, and they must sum to zero as total energy is conserved

so we have 0 = [tex]\Delta[/tex]U + [tex]\Delta[/tex]K + [tex]\Delta[/tex]R, where U is the potential energy on the incline, K is the linear kinetic energy and R is rotational kinetic.

so we have 0 = mg(0 - h) + 0.5m(v[tex]^{2}[/tex] - o) + 0.5I[tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]
2gh = v[tex]^{2}[/tex] + Iv[tex]^{2}[/tex]/r[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Solving for v we get

2gh = (1 + I/r[tex]^{2}[/tex])v[tex]^{2}[/tex]
v[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 2gh/(1 +I/r[tex]^{2}[/tex])

Note that the angle x does not matter. This is because the length of the slope on which the ball rolls down does not affect the final velocity. Also note that v = r[tex]\omega[/tex][tex], which tells us that the ratio of linear velocity and angular velocity is constant, independent of length of movement along the slope.

1. What factors affect the speed of a ball rolling down a slope?

The speed of a ball rolling down a slope is affected by several factors, including the angle of the slope, the surface of the slope, and the mass and shape of the ball. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also play a role.

2. How does the height of the slope affect the speed of a rolling ball?

The height of the slope does not directly affect the speed of a rolling ball. However, a higher slope will result in a steeper angle, which can increase the ball's acceleration and ultimately lead to a higher speed.

3. Does the weight of the ball affect its acceleration down a slope?

Yes, the weight of the ball does affect its acceleration down a slope. Heavier objects have a greater force of gravity, which can cause them to accelerate faster than lighter objects.

4. How does the surface of the slope affect the motion of a rolling ball?

The surface of the slope can greatly impact the motion of a rolling ball. A smoother surface will result in less friction, allowing the ball to roll at a faster speed. A rougher surface will create more friction, slowing down the ball's motion.

5. Can a ball roll up a slope?

In most cases, a ball will not be able to roll up a slope on its own. This is due to the force of gravity pulling the ball downwards. However, with the help of external forces such as a push or a ramp, a ball may be able to roll up a slope.