Ballistic Pendulum calculation

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the distance a bullet will travel when shot horizontally from a table. The formula for calculating the velocity of a ballistic pendulum is discussed, as well as the principles that can be applied to this problem. A video lecture is recommended for further understanding. The question of how far the bullet will travel is addressed and it is suggested to treat the vertical and horizontal motions separately as a projectile motion problem.
stanford1463

Homework Statement

So does anyone here know a lot about ballistic pendulums? I was just wondering how I could calculate the distance the ball will travel horizontally when shot horizontally, from a table.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that first, I have to calculate the velocity of the ballistic pendulum, v=(m+M)/m* sqrt(2gh). Now, my problem is, how can I measure precisely enough to predict exactly where the ball will land? Like, specifically, what is "h" ? And from this initial velocity, how do I calculate the distance using kinematics? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what that formula is. And if you don't either, I would not suggest using it.

Instead, I would ask myself what principles could I apply to this problem.

What principles do you know of that apply to collisions.

I'd suggest that you watch the first part of this lecture:
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/VideoLectures/detail/embed17.htm

It covers pretty much what you want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ok, thanks that website video really helped me, but one last problem: it did not talk about how far the bullet would travel if it were shot horizontally. Like, if it were shot off the table, how far away would it land horizontally? Would I use kinematics? If so, how? I would have the initial velocity, final velocity (0), but how bout acceleration and time? thanks

stanford1463 said:
Oh ok, thanks that website video really helped me, but one last problem: it did not talk about how far the bullet would travel if it were shot horizontally. Like, if it were shot off the table, how far away would it land horizontally? Would I use kinematics? If so, how? I would have the initial velocity, final velocity (0), but how bout acceleration and time? thanks
So this is a different question than the one about a ballistic pendulum, right? Your initial post is not clear as to what you are trying to do.

If you shoot a bullet horizontally, its initial vertical speed will be zero. Figure out how long it takes to fall to the ground. (Its final speed as it hits the ground will not be zero.) This is a projectile motion problem: treat the vertical and horizontal motions separately.

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile using a ballistic pendulum?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated by using the equation v0 = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the rise in height of the pendulum after impact. This equation assumes that there is no loss of energy due to friction.

2. What is the principle behind the ballistic pendulum experiment?

The principle behind the ballistic pendulum experiment is conservation of momentum. When a projectile is fired into a pendulum, the pendulum and the projectile stick together and rise to a certain height. By measuring the rise in height, the initial velocity of the projectile can be calculated.

3. How does air resistance affect the results of a ballistic pendulum calculation?

Air resistance can significantly affect the results of a ballistic pendulum calculation, as it causes a loss of energy and therefore a decrease in the calculated initial velocity of the projectile. In order to minimize the effects of air resistance, experiments should be conducted in a vacuum or in an environment with minimal air resistance.

4. Can a ballistic pendulum be used to calculate the initial velocity of any projectile?

No, a ballistic pendulum can only be used to calculate the initial velocity of projectiles that are fired horizontally and have a mass much smaller than the pendulum. This ensures that the pendulum's motion is not significantly affected by the projectile's impact.

5. What are the sources of error in a ballistic pendulum calculation?

The main sources of error in a ballistic pendulum calculation include air resistance, friction, and measurement errors. Air resistance and friction can cause a loss of energy and therefore a decrease in the calculated initial velocity, while measurement errors in the rise in height or mass of the pendulum can also affect the accuracy of the results.