How Is Acceleration Calculated in a Pulley System with Friction?

In summary, the acceleration of the system can be found by setting up separate equations for the sliding block and the hanging mass using Newton's 2nd law. The force pulling on the sliding block is the tension in the rope, not the weight of the hanging mass. By solving these equations together, the acceleration can be determined to be 4.5m/s^2.
Kingrick

Homework Statement

what is the acceleration of the system below? the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the table is 0.40. The weigts of the slideing block and hanging mass are 49N and 78.4N respectively.

Homework Equations

Ff=uN

F=ma

Fnet= Fa-Ff

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the 78.4N force as the force pulling the block.

then i found the Ff.

Ff= 0.4 * 49 =19.6

so Fnet = 78.4-19.6 = 58.8N

using F=ma

m= 49/9.8= 5kg

58.8 = 5 * a

a= 58.8/5= 11.76

the actual answer given is 4.5m/s^2

any help to show me where I went wrong would be great. thanks.

Attachments

• aphstqe2.bmp
    151 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
Kingrick said:
I took the 78.4N force as the force pulling the block.
The force pulling on the sliding block is the tension in the rope, not the weight of the hanging mass.

Hint: Set up separate equations for each mass using Newton's 2nd law. Then solve them together to find the acceleration.

so since its moving T<mg?

would T= mg - Ff?

so T= 58.8?

Why don't you do what I suggest: Set up one equation for the sliding block (what forces act on it?) and another equation for the hanging mass.

thanks i think i got it now, i have some consistent results throughout my worksheet. thanks.

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope, cable, or belt that runs around the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by distributing the weight of an object across multiple ropes or cables, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, the wheel turns and the object is lifted on the other end of the rope.

3. What is the basic force equation for a pulley?

The basic force equation for a pulley is Force = (Mass x Acceleration) / Number of Ropes. This means that the force needed to lift an object is equal to the product of its mass and the acceleration due to gravity, divided by the number of ropes supporting the object.

4. How does the number of ropes affect the force needed to lift an object with a pulley?

The more ropes used in a pulley system, the less force is needed to lift an object. This is because the weight of the object is distributed across multiple ropes, reducing the amount of force needed on each individual rope.

5. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys have a stationary axle and are used to change the direction of a force. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and are used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object. Compound pulleys combine fixed and movable pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage and reduce the amount of force needed even further.