Help Solve PH Homework: NaOH + H20 at 25degrees

• Thread starter geffman1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the conversation is about finding the concentration of [H3O+] in a solution where 0.535 g of NaOH is added to 100.0 mL of water at 25 degrees. The solution is found to have a [H3O+] of 7.48 x 10-14 M. The participants also discuss the method of finding the expected [OH-] and using the water ion product to calculate the pH. They also mention the possibility of balancing the equation and the importance of considering ion charges.
geffman1

Homework Statement

We add 0.535 g of NaOH to 100.0 mL of water at 25degrees. What is [H3O+] in this solution at 25degrees?

hey guys, I've practiced these types of questions alot, but I've never came across one like this before. i tried writing equations and i got this 2NaOH+2H20>>2Na+2H30, but I am stuck at the next step. anyhelp would be good. thanks

ANSWER=7.48 x 10-14 M

(p.s) if anyone could sit down with me on msn or something for 20minutes I've got about 15 basic question i need help with (ive got the answers). thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If that NaOH concentration is not too excessive for the model, you can try finding expected [OH-] and then use pH + pOH = 14

ta, could you help me write the equation then because i can't get it to balance good? tnaks

Your equation won't have H+ in it.

Check the page I have lined to. To start you have to calculate [OH-].

can i just write it like this..NaOH>Na+OH

Don't ignore charges, these are ions. But otherwise you are on the right track, this is just a simple dissociation.

Related to Help Solve PH Homework: NaOH + H20 at 25degrees

What is the chemical equation for NaOH + H2O at 25 degrees?

The chemical equation for NaOH + H2O at 25 degrees is NaOH + H2O → Na+ + OH- + H2O.

What type of reaction is NaOH + H2O at 25 degrees?

NaOH + H2O at 25 degrees is a neutralization reaction, where an acid and a base combine to form a salt and water.

What is the molarity of a solution containing 20g of NaOH in 500mL of water?

The molarity of the solution would be 1M, as 20g of NaOH in 500mL of water would give a concentration of 1M (moles per liter).

What is the pH of a solution of NaOH at 25 degrees?

The pH of a solution of NaOH at 25 degrees is 14, as NaOH is a strong base and has a high concentration of hydroxide ions (OH-).

Why is it important to specify the temperature when writing a chemical equation for NaOH + H2O?

The temperature is important because it affects the dissociation of NaOH in water. At higher temperatures, more NaOH molecules will dissociate, leading to a higher concentration of hydroxide ions and a higher pH.