Basic Inertia/Newton's Laws Questions

• Thread starter Gilbert189
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, the student is confused on the topic of Newton's first, second and third laws and their application to a moving plane. He is missing one post in which he is introduced to the concept of net force and asks how it applies to the situation.
Gilbert189
New user has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template
Hello,
I am taking physics (freshman, high school) and I am very confused on the current topic. We are learning about Newton's first, second and third laws. Our teacher speaks very fast and I cannot seem to understand many topics that he talks about.

Questions I am confused on:
1. A plane is moving in a constant velocity. The air drag of the plane is 1800N. What is the net force?
2. My second question is an attached file.

If you have the time and you are solving this, please write out each step carefully when solving. I am completely lost. If you have the time, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Thanks,
Gilbert

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 8.16.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 8.16.01 PM.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 515
Physics news on Phys.org
Gilbert189 said:
Hello,
I am taking physics (freshman, high school) and I am very confused on the current topic. We are learning about Newton's first, second and third laws. Our teacher speaks very fast and I cannot seem to understand many topics that he talks about.

Questions I am confused on:
1. A plane is moving in a constant velocity. The air drag of the plane is 1800N. What is the net force?
2. My second question is an attached file.

If you have the time and you are solving this, please write out each step carefully when solving. I am completely lost. If you have the time, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Thanks,
Gilbert

We are not allowed to solve your problems for you---it is against PF rules. So, you need to do some work yourself on problems 1 and 2, and show us your work.

Likes Wanting to Learn
Gilbert189 said:
A plane is moving in a constant velocity. ... What is the net force?
If it is moving at a constant velocity, what is the acceleration?

Remember that in the equation F=ma that F is the net or total force.

Ray Vickson said:
We are not allowed to solve your problems for you---it is against PF rules. So, you need to do some work yourself on problems 1 and 2, and show us your work.
Well... I am stuck on them. I will try my best I guess.

1. So for the first one I know that Net force is equal to all the forces acting on it. So Drag would be in the left direction if the plane was going right. Since it's a constant velocity, that means they balance out (I think!). So is it 1800N to the left?

2. I really don't know where to start for this one... :sorry: All I know is that A=F/M and the force is 10 N to the right.

Wanting to Learn said:
If it is moving at a constant velocity, what is the acceleration?

The acceleration would be zero.

Likes CWatters
Gilbert189 said:
Since it's a constant velocity, that means they balance out
Right, but what exactly is balancing out, and how does that relate to net force?
Gilbert189 said:
A=F/M
More precisely, Fnet=ma.

haruspex said:
Right, but what exactly is balancing out, and how does that relate to net force?

More precisely, Fnet=ma.
If the object is moving forward at 1800N and it is in constant velocity, that means that it should be in equilibrium, so that means there would be a 1800N thrust? I am so confused. If the plane is moving forward and isn't going anywhere, how is it moving? Or am I doing something wrong...

Gilbert189 said:
that means there would be a 1800N thrust?
Yes. So what is the net force?
Gilbert189 said:
isn't going anywhere
It is going somewhere, at constant velocity.

haruspex said:
Yes. So what is the net force?

It is going somewhere, at constant velocity.
So the net force is 1800N East?

Gilbert189 said:
So the net force is 1800N East?
What does 'net force' mean? What does the equation I gave in post #7 say?
What are the forces acting on the plane?

haruspex said:
What does 'net force' mean? What does the equation I gave in post #7 say?
What are the forces acting on the plane?
Net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object.
The equation for net force is mass times acceleration.
I guess the grav. force and the lift balance the plane vertically, and we are given that there is 1800N drag.

Gilbert189 said:
Net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object.
Yes.
Gilbert189 said:
The equation for net force is mass times acceleration.
Right, and we know the acceleration is zero, so...?
Gilbert189 said:
I guess the grav. force and the lift balance the plane vertically, and we are given that there is 1800N drag.
You missed one, mentioned in post #54.

haruspex said:
Yes.

Right, and we know the acceleration is zero, so...?

You missed one, mentioned in post #54.

So if a is 0 then F=0, cause if you multiply something by 0 then it will be 0.

So in that case the plane is in dynamic equilibrium, so the thrust has to be 1800N?

So the net force is 0?

Likes CWatters
Gilbert189 said:
So if a is 0 then F=0, cause if you multiply something by 0 then it will be 0.

So in that case the plane is in dynamic equilibrium, so the thrust has to be 1800N?

So the net force is 0?
Right.

Could anyone help with the second question?

Gilbert189 said:
Could anyone help with the second question?
Do you know how to draw Free Body Diagrams?

Do you understand what is meant by a system?
You are free to choose what assemblage of bodies constitutes a system. Typically you want them such that every mass in the system has the same acceleration. You can then ignore forces between parts of the system and just look at external forces which act on the system as a whole, and apply Fnet=ma to this.
In problem 2, you can treat each block as a system and draw the FBD for it. There is an alternative. Either will work.

+1

Imagine you are towing a car. If you want to calculate the tension in the tow rope using f=ma would you need to know the mass of every nut and bolt that makes up the car individually?

Likes haruspex
haruspex said:
Do you know how to draw Free Body Diagrams?

Do you understand what is meant by a system?
You are free to choose what assemblage of bodies constitutes a system. Typically you want them such that every mass in the system has the same acceleration. You can then ignore forces between parts of the system and just look at external forces which act on the system as a whole, and apply Fnet=ma to this.
In problem 2, you can treat each block as a system and draw the FBD for it. There is an alternative. Either will work.

freebody diagram, kinda. is it where you draw a cartesian plane then draw arrows in different directions?

so what you mean is that i could solve this as one, or split it into two?

CWatters said:
+1

Imagine you are towing a car. If you want to calculate the tension in the tow rope using f=ma would you need to know the mass of every nut and bolt that makes up the car individually?
probably not? i guess just the mass of the car as a whole?

Gilbert189 said:
freebody diagram, kinda. is it where you draw a cartesian plane then draw arrows in different directions?
You draw one rigid body and show all the forces that act on it. Do not show the reaction forces it exerts on other bodies - those would be shown on the FBDs for those bodies.
When you have that, you can write down the ΣF=ma equation(s) for the body.
Gilbert189 said:
i could solve this as one, or split it into two
That is the easiest way in this problem. The two blocks will clearly move as one, so treat them as a single rigid body.
I would guess that the question goes on to ask about the tension on the string connecting them. If so, you will need to consider one block in isolation.

Gilbert189 said:
probably not? i guess just the mass of the car as a whole?
Yes that's the best approach for this question.

haruspex said:
You draw one rigid body and show all the forces that act on it. Do not show the reaction forces it exerts on other bodies - those would be shown on the FBDs for those bodies.
When you have that, you can write down the ΣF=ma equation(s) for the body.

That is the easiest way in this problem. The two blocks will clearly move as one, so treat them as a single rigid body.
I would guess that the question goes on to ask about the tension on the string connecting them. If so, you will need to consider one block in isolation.
The tension of a rope is the always the same on any side of a rope, right? Why is that?

Gilbert189 said:
The tension of a rope is the always the same on any side of a rope, right? Why is that?
Apply ΣF=ma to the rope. If the rope is being pulled with different forces at each end and the rope is massless, what do you conclude?

haruspex said:
Apply ΣF=ma to the rope. If the rope is being pulled with different forces at each end and the rope is massless, what do you conclude?
Oh, right. So NetF is 0. Which means that on each side it is pulling the exact same? Does that have to do with Newton's third law?

Gilbert189 said:
Oh, right. So NetF is 0. Which means that on each side it is pulling the exact same? Does that have to do with Newton's third law?
Second and third.
The third law tells you that the force the rope exerts on the object at one end equals the force the object exerts on it.
The second (combined with the zero mass) tells you that the forces exerted on the two ends are equal and opposite.
Tension is not exactly a force, more like a pair of equal and opposite forces.
Note that the tension is not uniform if the rope has mass and is accelerating.

haruspex said:
Second and third.
The third law tells you that the force the rope exerts on the object at one end equals the force the object exerts on it.
The second (combined with the zero mass) tells you that the forces exerted on the two ends are equal and opposite.
Tension is not exactly a force, more like a pair of equal and opposite forces.
Note that the tension is not uniform if the rope has mass and is accelerating.
Okay, so that means T1 is the same as T2.

Gilbert189 said:
Okay, so that means T1 is the same as T2.
No, we were discussing the forces associated with one rope. T1 and T2 are the tensions in two different ropes.

The problem doesn't actually ask you for T2 and you don't need to calculate it. Perhaps return to that after answering the question?

1. What is inertia and how does it relate to Newton's First Law?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It relates to Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, which states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What are the three laws of motion proposed by Newton?

Newton's three laws of motion are: the Law of Inertia (First Law), the Law of Force and Acceleration (Second Law), and the Law of Action and Reaction (Third Law).

3. How does Newton's Second Law explain the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the greater the mass of an object, the less it will accelerate for a given force.

4. Can you provide an example of Newton's Third Law in action?

An example of Newton's Third Law, the Law of Action and Reaction, is when a person jumps off a boat onto the dock. As the person pushes down on the boat to jump, the boat exerts an equal and opposite force on the person, propelling them forward onto the dock.

5. How is Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation related to his Laws of Motion?

Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation states that any two objects in the universe attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law is related to his Laws of Motion because the force of gravity is one of the external forces that can act on an object and cause it to accelerate, as described in his Second Law.