Vector Help: Breaking Down x and y Coordinates

• Thread starter cdornz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses breaking down a vector into x and y components using trigonometric properties. The problem does not include any angles or measurements, causing confusion about the necessary steps to solve it.
cdornz
Assume the general position of x and y coordinates (looks like a plus sign, + ) break the vector down (draw) into x and y components.So does this mean that it wants me to draw just those coordinates around the vector it gives me? I have multiple problems like this and no sure if I am over-analyzing what it is asking me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there an angle included in the problem? usually if there is an angle included, that is when you are able to break the vector into x+, y+ components using sin/cos trig properties

no, there are no angles or measurements given, which is why i thought I might of been over-analyzing the entire problem.

1. What are x and y coordinates?

X and y coordinates are a way of representing the position of a point on a two-dimensional plane. The x coordinate represents the horizontal distance from the origin (usually the left side of the plane), while the y coordinate represents the vertical distance from the origin (usually the bottom of the plane).

2. How do I break down x and y coordinates?

To break down x and y coordinates, you need to first identify the point you want to locate on the plane. Then, you can measure the horizontal distance (x) from the origin to that point and the vertical distance (y) from the origin to that point. This will give you the x and y coordinates of the point.

3. Why are x and y coordinates important?

X and y coordinates are important because they allow us to accurately represent and locate points on a two-dimensional plane. They are used in many fields, including mathematics, physics, and computer science, to analyze and solve problems involving spatial relationships.

4. How do I plot x and y coordinates on a graph?

To plot x and y coordinates on a graph, you first need to determine the scale of the graph. Then, mark the x and y axes with the appropriate units. Next, plot the points by starting at the origin and moving horizontally and vertically according to the x and y coordinates. Finally, connect the points to create a visual representation of the data.

5. Can x and y coordinates be negative?

Yes, x and y coordinates can be negative. In a typical Cartesian coordinate system, the x-axis extends to the right with positive values and to the left with negative values. The y-axis extends upwards with positive values and downwards with negative values. This allows us to locate points in all four quadrants of the plane.