Finding the Cross Product and Angle Between Two Vectors

• Thread starter yb1013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the cross product and angle between two given vectors, A and B. The cross product is determined to be -10, while the angle between the vectors is found to be 90 degrees. The importance of understanding the definition of the cross product and its applicability in 2D space is highlighted.
yb1013

Homework Statement

Two vectors are given by Avec = -1 i + 2 j and Bvec = 4 i + 2 j

Find A X B

Find the angle between A and B

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay well I got the First part of the problem, I know that A X B is -10, but when I do everything for the angle I keep getting the wrong answer.

After I finish with my calculating I come up with cos (theta) = -10/10 which would simplify to 180 degrees, but that's wrong...

Can someone please help me out, I don't understand where I am going wrong

Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want the cosine of the angle you need the dot product (not the cross product).
The angle is 90 deg, the two vectors are perpendicular.

If you use the cross product, you'll get sin (theta)=1 and theta = 90 deg.

oo ok, thank you

It's important to remember how the cross-product is defined before you look at this problem. The cross-product is an operation in a 3-D vector space that produces a third vector.

In this case:
(-1, 2, 0) [tex]\times[/tex] (4, 2, 0) = (0, 0, -10)

The cross product also gives you:
[tex]a \times b = \sin{\theta} \nhat[/tex]

You might have an easier time looking at the dot product only.

But if your 2D vectors aren't actually lying in a 3D space, do not use the cross product at all, as it is not well defined.

Last edited:

1. What is a basic vector equation?

A basic vector equation is a mathematical expression that represents the relationship between two or more vectors. It typically includes the components of each vector, along with a symbol for the operation being performed (such as addition or multiplication).

2. How do you solve a basic vector equation?

To solve a basic vector equation, you must first determine the operations being performed on each vector. Then, you can use standard algebraic techniques to isolate the unknown variables and solve for their values.

3. What are the properties of vector equations?

The properties of vector equations include commutativity (the order of addition or multiplication does not affect the result), associativity (the grouping of operations does not affect the result), and distributivity (multiplication distributes over addition).

4. How are vector equations used in science?

Vector equations are used in science to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as force, velocity, and acceleration. They allow scientists to mathematically model and predict the behavior of these quantities.

5. What are some common applications of vector equations?

Some common applications of vector equations include projectile motion, fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in computer graphics and engineering design to model and manipulate 3D objects in space.