Battery Monitor Chips and Circuit Design

In summary, the speaker is interested in building a custom Li+ battery pack with six or seven cells that requires a small battery monitoring circuit. They have found potential chips to use and are considering using a microcontroller for polling and converting charge/discharge information into user-friendly signals. They are seeking advice from others who may have experience with similar projects. However, it is noted that this type of project is not common due to the low cost of battery packs.
Antiwave
I'm looking at custom building a Li+ battery pack, six or seven cells, and want to design a battery monitoring circuit that measures voltage of each cell and keeps track of charge/discharge. The battery pack needs to fit in a form size of about 8" by 2" by 2" so my circuit should be fairly small. I've found a number of different chips that seem like they have this capability, including the Maxim DS2764 and the TI BQ78PL116.

My current thinking is to use a microcontroller (like a MSP430) and conduct polling on the chip and convert discharge/charge information into user readable signals.

I'm not looking for anyone to design this system for me, but was just wondering if anyone else has done something similar and has advice on common pitfalls to avoid or a recommendation on a specific chip to use, etc.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think that is pretty unusual. Battery packs are typically so inexpensive that nobody wants internal instrumentation. But perhaps you have laboratory purposes.

Sorry, no one here has experience to offer.

1. What is a battery monitor chip?

A battery monitor chip is a type of integrated circuit that is used to measure the voltage, current, and temperature of a battery. It is designed to accurately monitor the status of a battery and provide information to the user.

2. How does a battery monitor chip work?

A battery monitor chip works by using voltage dividers and analog-to-digital converters to measure the voltage of the battery. It also uses a current sensor to measure the current flowing in and out of the battery. The chip then processes this information and provides an output that can be used to monitor the battery's status.

3. What are the benefits of using a battery monitor chip?

Using a battery monitor chip can provide several benefits, such as accurately monitoring the battery's status, preventing overcharging and over-discharging, and prolonging the battery's lifespan. It can also provide real-time data on the battery's performance, which can be useful for optimizing battery usage.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a battery monitor circuit?

When designing a battery monitor circuit, it is essential to consider factors such as the type of battery being used, the desired level of accuracy, and the required measurement range. Other factors to consider include the power supply for the chip, the communication protocol, and any external components that may be needed for the circuit.

5. Can battery monitor chips be used for different types of batteries?

Yes, battery monitor chips can be used for different types of batteries, such as lithium-ion, lead-acid, and nickel-cadmium. However, it is crucial to select a chip that is specifically designed for the type of battery being used to ensure accurate measurements and proper functionality.