Bayes Networks - calculations in terms of joint distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a problem from a given Bayesian network. The network consists of nodes G1, G2, G3, G4, and Pr1, with G1 leading to G2, G2 leading to G4, G3 leading to G4, and G4 leading to Pr1. The conversation also mentions the probability tables for each node, with specific values for each condition. The main focus is on calculating the value for P(Pr1|G1,¬G3) using the formula P(Pr1,G1,¬G3)/P(G1,¬G3). The conversation also mentions a picture of the network and asks for help in calculating the missing value from the
clobbasaurus
Hi I am trying to calculate a particular problem from a given bayesian network.

The network consists of nodes G1,G2,G3,G4,Pr1

G1 leads to G2, G2 leads to G4 and G3 also leads to G4 but it has no parents, and G4 leads to Pr1.

The probability tables for the nodes are:

P(G1) = 0.02
P(G2|G1) True = 0.67 False = 0.10
P(G3) = 0.6
P(G4|G2,G3) = G2True and G3True = 0.772, G2True and G3False = 0.70
G2False and G3True = 0.24, G2False and G3False = 0.01

P(Pr1|G4) = True 0.61 False 0.34

From this

I am trying to calculate P(Pr1|G1,¬G3)

I think I can do this by expressing in terms of components of the joint distribution, and calculating each of these from the network.

So far I have the formula

P(Pr1|G1,¬G3) = P(Pr1,G1,¬G3)/P(G1,¬G3)

P(Pr1,G1,¬G3) =
P(Pr1,G1,¬G3,G2,G4)+
P(Pr1,G1,¬G3,G2,¬G4)+
P(Pr1,G1,¬G3,¬G2,G4)+
P(Pr1,G1,¬G3,¬G2,¬G4)

As I already know the values for G1 and G3 this bit is ok, but how do I calculate the values for Pr1,G2 and G4 as I assume they have to be worked out from the values in the probability tables (or are the values already in the tables and am I just being Thick) . If you would like to see a picture of the bayes network, I have a .gif I can send. I have attached what I have done so far and the missing value from the probability table in the .gif is 0.772

Thanks a lot

Mike

Attachments

• bayes.GIF
    bayes.GIF
    6.4 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose p denotes the unconditional Pr1. Then isn't P(Pr1,G1,¬G3) = p x 0.98 x 0.4?
Strike that; I need to think more.

Last edited:

Hello Mike,

Thank you for sharing your question and the work you have done so far. It seems like you are on the right track in terms of approaching this problem through the joint distribution. The formula you have for P(Pr1|G1,¬G3) is correct, and the next step is to calculate the values for Pr1, G2, and G4 using the probability tables provided.

To calculate the value for Pr1, you can use the given probability table for P(Pr1|G4). Since G4 is the only parent node for Pr1, you can use the values for G4 to determine the probability of Pr1 being True or False.

For G2 and G4, you can use the conditional probability table P(G4|G2,G3) to determine the values for G2True and G3False. From there, you can use the given values for P(G2|G1) and P(G3) to determine the remaining values for G2 and G4.

Once you have all the values for Pr1, G2, and G4, you can plug them into your formula for P(Pr1|G1,¬G3) and solve for the final probability.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations! If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Related to Bayes Networks - calculations in terms of joint distribution

1. What is a Bayes Network?

A Bayes Network is a graphical model that represents the relationships between variables in a probabilistic manner. It is composed of nodes and directed edges, where each node represents a random variable and the edges represent the dependencies between the variables.

2. How are joint distributions calculated in Bayes Networks?

Joint distributions in Bayes Networks are calculated using the chain rule, which states that the joint probability of a set of variables is equal to the product of their conditional probabilities.

3. What is the importance of Bayes Networks in data analysis?

Bayes Networks are useful in data analysis because they allow us to model and understand complex systems in a probabilistic manner. They also allow us to make predictions and decisions based on uncertain information.

4. How do Bayes Networks handle uncertainty?

Bayes Networks handle uncertainty by incorporating prior knowledge and updating it based on new evidence using Bayes' theorem. This allows for a more accurate representation of real-world scenarios where uncertainty is present.

5. Can Bayes Networks be used for causal inference?

Yes, Bayes Networks can be used for causal inference by incorporating causal relationships between variables into the network. This allows us to make predictions about the effect of a certain variable on another variable, given the other variables in the network.