Calculating Beam Reaction Forces for Wind Turbine Shaft Design

In summary, the designer has to calculate the reaction forces between the supports and the load on the shaft. He or she has been unsuccessful in doing so using the usual formula. However, by using the beam as a guide, he or she was able to eliminate one of the unknowns.
JCJones
For a piece of coursework I have to design a shaft for a windturbine.

The shaft has a load on one end due to the rotor blades and a load on the opposite end due to a sprocket which is chain linked to a generator. The supports are bearings in between the two loads, as shown in this drawing:

beam.jpg

A is the force due to the rotor: 343.35N
B is a bearing/support
C is the second bearing/support
D is the force due to the chain: 781.46N

My task at this point is to locate the bearings on the shaft and then specify which bearings to use.

However I can't work out how to calculate the reaction forces at the supports. I've been trying to do it using the usual: sum of forces in y direction=0 and sum of the moments=0 but I keep ending up with one support taking more load than the sum of the y forces and the second support therefore being negative, as if it is another load.

Due to the constraints of a frame the beam has to be attached to, the first support(B) is 60mm from the rotor(A) and the second support(C) is 40mm from the sprocket(D). The shaft is 350mm long.

If anyone can point out where I might be going wrong it would be a massive help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums

Don't know if you got one of the moment directions wrong or forgot to add the moment distances correctly.

Two tips

It helps to draw the beam as I have done.

Taking the moments about one of the unknowns eliminates it.

go well

PS one more tip.

You should post homework/coursework in the appropriate forum.

Attachments

• shaft5.jpg
    shaft5.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 434
Cheers, Yeah I realized I wasn't taking enough care of my directions with the moments.

Thanks for your help.

And I'll be sure to post it there next time!

1. How do you calculate the beam reaction forces for a wind turbine shaft design?

The beam reaction forces for a wind turbine shaft design can be calculated by first determining the wind load acting on the turbine blades, then using the principles of static equilibrium to find the forces acting on the shaft. This can be done by taking moments about the point of rotation and summing the forces in the horizontal and vertical directions.

2. What factors influence the beam reaction forces in a wind turbine shaft design?

The beam reaction forces in a wind turbine shaft design can be influenced by various factors such as the wind speed and direction, the size and shape of the turbine blades, the weight and design of the shaft, and the location and terrain of the wind turbine site.

3. How does wind direction affect the beam reaction forces in a wind turbine shaft design?

The wind direction can greatly affect the beam reaction forces in a wind turbine shaft design. If the wind is blowing directly perpendicular to the blades, it will create a larger force on the shaft compared to if the wind is blowing at an angle. This is because the force of the wind is directly related to the projected area of the blades facing the wind.

4. How can the beam reaction forces be optimized for a wind turbine shaft design?

The beam reaction forces for a wind turbine shaft design can be optimized by carefully selecting the materials and design of the shaft, as well as considering the location and terrain of the wind turbine site. Conducting wind tunnel tests and using computer simulations can also help in optimizing the design to reduce the beam reaction forces.

5. Why is it important to accurately calculate the beam reaction forces in a wind turbine shaft design?

Accurately calculating the beam reaction forces in a wind turbine shaft design is crucial for ensuring the safety and efficiency of the turbine. If the forces are underestimated, it can lead to structural failures and damage to the turbine. On the other hand, overestimating the forces may result in a heavier and more expensive design. Therefore, precise calculations are essential for the overall success of the wind turbine project.