Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.

In summary, the conversation revolved around an individual's passion for collecting and restoring old devices, particularly electrical components from the early 1900s. They shared photos of their collection, which included vintage bulbs, switches, and transformers, and discussed the craftsmanship and attention to detail of these items. The conversation also touched on the nostalgia and sentimental value of preserving and working with old technology. The individual credited their interest in old devices to a scrap collector who allowed them to explore his collection as a child.
dlgoff said:
I can't wait to fire up this beauty. Don't worry; safety first.

Just think of all the skills required to build that thing.

Likes dlgoff
Engineering news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
Just think of all the skills required to build that thing.
Indeed. I was very thrilled that it arrived in one piece. I'm still in the process of determining it's authenticity but it does appear to be a Victor Electric Company tube.
[PLAIN]http://www.gendex.com/history said:
Only[/PLAIN] a few years after Roentgen’s 1895 discovery, Victor Electric Company of Chicago, started manufacturing X-ray equipment for the medical and dental community and offered these products through its subsidiary, Victor X-ray Corporation.

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
I'm still in the process of determining it's authenticity but it does appear to be a Victor Electric Company tube.

i was going to say - there's similar looking contraptions in the Philo Farnsworth museum in Rigby Idaho... Farnsworth was a vacuum tube designer of some note.
His "Fusor" is a desktop fusion device using electric field confinement but it doesn't break even just makes neutrons. Makes sense an accomplished vacuum tube guy would be drawn to electric field approach...

I'll keep my eyes peeled for one for you !

jim hardy said:
i was going to say - there's similar looking contraptions in the Philo Farnsworth museum in Rigby Idaho... Farnsworth was a vacuum tube designer of some note.
His "Fusor" is a desktop fusion device using electric field confinement but it doesn't break even just makes neutrons. Makes sense an accomplished vacuum tube guy would be drawn to electric field approach...

I'll keep my eyes peeled for one for you !
You're awesome Jim.
The tube does appear to be like this one from http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2004/VictorXRayTube/index.htm
Victor1.jpg

They have their company's name etched in the glass around the anode. There's something there on mine (very difficult to see) but I need to get a good picture of it

dlgoff said:
I didn't read closely enough the first time to realize that you now have an old X-ray tube. I hope that you have good detectors and lead shields for when you fire up that puppy. :wideeyed:

Borg said:
I didn't read closely enough the first time to realize that you now have an old X-ray tube. I hope that you have good detectors and lead shields for when you fire up that puppy. :wideeyed:
Oh yea. I've got the stuff. :approve:

Likes Borg
Borg said:
I hope that you have good detectors ...
I'm thinking this should be okay.

X-ray_detector.jpg

edit: which is a beauty on it's own. :)

Likes davenn
Wow . And i thought i had a collection of weird stuff.

i do have a BF3 neutron detector tube in case you get into cold fusion... no preamp or readout though.

Likes dlgoff
jim hardy said:
i do have a BF3 neutron detector tube in case you get into cold fusion...
We should get together and built a reaction chamber. :olduhh:
I bet @mfb would be willing to help. :oldwink:

Likes OmCheeto
I've been really busy lately and have some catching up to do. I added a black shadow box to the meter and gauge display. Could be the last one (?).
wall M&Gs.jpg

Soon I'll be posting some photos of the vintage (1902 - 1925 Victor) X-ray tube project.

I guess I am really telling my age but I have actually used the Narco VOR and the radio in a real airplane.

Very cool collection of stuff. I may have an old open cockpit biplane head set to add to your collection. I will see if I can dig it up.

And for all you guys that think morse code is long dead and gone we still use it to identify the VOR today! It is going away but it will be around for a while.

By 2000 there were about 3,000 VOR stations around the world including 1,033 in the US, reduced to 967 by 2013[3] with more stations being decommissioned with the widespread adoption of GPS.

Cheers,

Billy

Likes Klystron and dlgoff
Planobilly said:
Very cool collection of stuff.
Thank you.
Planobilly said:
I may have an old open cockpit biplane head set to add to your collection. I will see if I can dig it up.
Now that would be a great supplement for the Narco radios. Thanks.
Planobilly said:
And for all you guys that think morse code is long dead and gone we still use it to identify the VOR today!
dlgoff said:
... radio receiving the Butler VOR signal at 115.90 MHz ...
Even though the Butler station is ~100 miles away, I can clearly hear their Morse ID (- ... ..- --).
Planobilly said:
By 2000 there were about 3,000 VOR stations around the world including 1,033 in the US, reduced to 967 by 2013[3] with more stations being decommissioned with the widespread adoption of GPS.
Wow. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing the PDF reference.

dlgoff said:
We should get together and built a reaction chamber. :olduhh:
I bet @mfb would be willing to help. :oldwink:

I'd love to do that
right now i know i'd be over-committing

i do have a pretty good vacuum pump
and that BF3 chamber
and a neon sign transformer...

jim hardy said:
i do have a pretty good vacuum pump
Cool. Do you have a photo you could share?

I cleaned up mine so that I can get back to an aluminum vacuum disposition project that I put on hold some 30+ years ago. Couldn't believe the cost of vacuum grease now days. Buying online including shipping, nearly $50 for 5.3oz.
79751_30%20OL.jpg

I'll be posting pictures of it when I start depositing aluminum on glass microscope slides.

dlgoff said:
Do you have a photo you could share?
Will get one posted.

Likes dlgoff
dlgoff said:

I made a 25 kV power source from an old color TV to supply the old X-ray tube. But even though the radiation from it is considered low LET (linear energy transfer), there is still danger from absorbed doses. My survey meter measures absorbed dose in mrads/hr. The biological risk from radiation exposure (or equivalent dose), measured in rems, is determined by LET giving a radiation weighing factor; in this case the factor is equal to one. Note that 100 rem would make you sick.

I measured 1 mrad/hr at ~10 feet from the front of the display (or 1 rem/hr) and 150 mrad/hr at the center of the tube’s output (or 150 rem/hr). So don’t try this at home kids.

For safety reasons, I incorporated a key locking power switch (with a big red indicator) and a 25 kV on/off push-button switch at the end of a long cable to get some distance from the tube when in operation. I also made sure there was a Danger and a Warning sign visible.

Here are two photos; one up close un-energized and one at a distance energized.
x-ray off.jpg

x-ray on.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, davenn, DrClaude and 2 others
Pretty amazing work, Don. I'm glad you took safety aspects into consideration. :smile:

Likes dlgoff
berkeman said:
I'm glad you took safety aspects into consideration. :smile:
Safety should always enter the equation. Knowing that you feel the same, maybe a sticky for dangers and safety in engineering would be appropriate. We haven't lived this long for not respecting electricity. I'm sure others would have great advice.

Likes davenn
dlgoff said:
Safety should always enter the equation. Knowing that you feel the same, maybe a sticky for dangers and safety in engineering would be appropriate. We haven't lived this long for not respecting electricity. I'm sure others would have great advice.
Interesting idea. That might make a good EE forum stickie thread. Let me think on it a bit... :smile:

Likes dlgoff
"Don't kill yourself having fun"

I try my best to remember that, on the ocean, in the air, and pokin round in the high voltage!

0qYPsXd.jpg

Cheers,

Billy

Likes davenn, dlgoff and anorlunda
dlgoff said:
Here are two photos; one up close un-energized and one at a distance energized.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/x-ray_off-jpg.96459/

[PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/x-ray_on-jpg.96460/[/QUOTE]
The images are broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Images seem fine to me. Are you not seeing anything?

berkeman said:
Images seem fine to me. Are you not seeing anything?
I am also unable to see the pictures. And, when I click on them to "view image", I get a PF permission error.

DrClaude said:
The images are broken.
I re-uploaded the images. Can you see them now?

images in 121 don't show for me - firefox...

upload_2016-3-31_11-4-7.png
Click "View Image " yields

upload_2016-3-31_11-5-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-31_11-6-47.png
    upload_2016-3-31_11-6-47.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 452
jim hardy said:
Click "View Image " yields
That's exactly what I'm getting also. It seems that PF is blocking access to some of us. :olduhh:

How about now Jim?

Likes jim hardy
dlgoff said:
How about now Jim?
Working for me now.

Likes dlgoff
Whatever somebody did - i see two fine images now !

dlgoff said:
How about now Jim?
How'd you fix it for them?

berkeman said:
How'd you fix it for them?
I re-uploaded the two pics. Initially, I used the ones from the Conversation we had, hoping to save a little server space.

Likes jim hardy
Ah, and that's why I could see them -- they were likely still in my cache. :smile:

Here are a couple oldies:

In rough condition but repaired and working (w/ a old carbon filament bulb); from the Swivelier Company, Inc.

Swivelier Company.jpg

Cute little clip-on 75W 125V (with bulb); from the Leviton Manufacturing Company, Inc.

Leviton Clip-on.jpg

Likes Borg and jim hardy
My girlfriend knows what makes me happy. A couple months ago she picked up this old Western Union Telegraph Company telegraph relay. Even though it's missing the metal tag, I'm fairly sure it's the 4D, 100 ohm model. It took a lot of Q-tips to clean it up to find, MFG BY HARDWICK FIELD & LEED...

WU.jpg

The only other thing I did was to repair the broken coil lead-in wires so that it would function. Then I figured I should try to find a key (bug) so I could demonstrate it. While looking around on ebay.com, I came across a fairly old practice key that someone had tried modifying way back when; missing the buzzer and added audio transformer, vacuum tube rectifier tube, and socket. Not sure what they were trying to do. Anyway my attention shifted away from the key.

Here's the Freed-Eismann audio transformer (though about sending it to @Phanobilly for the vacuum tube amp he's building :devil:)

F-E.jpg

But this old Raytheon BH Vacuum Tube and Benjamin shock-absorbing socket makes me even happier :oldlove:.

BH.jpg

It's around 90 years old and it still works. Here's an image from a .pdf, compliments of www.clarisonus.com, introducing the tube in the October, 1926 edition of Radio News.

introbb.jpg

Likes berkeman and jim hardy
love the new additions to your collection, Don

Likes dlgoff