Understanding the Difference Between Bending Stress and Normal Stress in Beams

In summary, the author believes that if there is tensile stress in the upper half of the beam, and compressive stress in the bottom half of the beam, then the upper half of the beam will get longer and the bottom half of the beam will get shorter.
chetzread

Homework Statement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bending
[/B]
form the link, we know that σ represent the bending stress, I'm wondering can I call the bending stress as normal stress act at the cross sectional area of beam?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

IMO, they are not the same...Because the normal stress act on the cross sectional of beam will only cause the beam to elongate or shorten, it will not cause it to bend , so they are not the same...

Attachments

• 350.PNG
    350.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread said:

Homework Statement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bending
[/B]
form the link, we know that σ represent the bending stress, I'm wondering can I call the bending stress as normal stress act at the cross sectional area of beam?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

IMO, they are not the same...Because the normal stress act on the cross sectional of beam will only cause the beam to elongate or shorten, it will not cause it to bend , so they are not the same...
If there is tensile stress perpendicular to the beam cross sections in the upper half of the beam, and compressive stress in the bottom half of the beam, the upper half of the beam will get longer and the bottom half of the beam will get shorter. This geometrically means that the beam is bent.

Likes chetzread
Chestermiller said:
If there is tensile stress perpendicular to the beam cross sections in the upper half of the beam, and compressive stress in the bottom half of the beam, the upper half of the beam will get longer and the bottom half of the beam will get shorter. This geometrically means that the beam is bent.
I agreed, but, it only means the beam is sheared , but not bent like U shape, right?

chetzread said:
I agreed, but, it only means the beam is sheared , but not bent like U shape, right?
why you said that it's bent?

chetzread said:
why you said that it's bent?
The key assumption involved here is the flat cross sections of the beam remain flat after the deformation has occurred. Can you tell me how the cross sections can remain flat while the upper part of the beam gets longer and the bottom part of the beam gets shorter without the beam developing curvature (i.e., bending)?

Your reference fails to mention this key assumption (that is actually observed in practice). Therefore, I can see the source of your confusion regarding the deformation being shear. "Shear bending" does actually occur in very short beams, but in long slender beams, the dominant mode of deformation is "normal bending".

Likes chetzread
Chestermiller said:
The key assumption involved here is the flat cross sections of the beam remain flat after the deformation has occurred. Can you tell me how the cross sections can remain flat while the upper part of the beam gets longer and the bottom part of the beam gets shorter without the beam developing curvature (i.e., bending)?
initially, i was thinking that the author mean this, so the object is sheared , but not bent (figure above)
But, it should look like this,right? (figure below)

Attachments

• 353.png
    353.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 453
chetzread said:
initially, i was thinking that the author mean this, so the object is sheared , but not bent (figure above)
But, it should look like this,right? (figure below)
Yes.

Likes chetzread

1. What is the difference between bending stress and normal stress in beams?

Bending stress is the stress that occurs when a beam is subjected to a bending moment, causing it to bend or deform. Normal stress, also known as axial stress, is the stress that occurs when a beam is subjected to a force that is perpendicular to its cross-sectional area.

2. How are bending stress and normal stress calculated in beams?

Bending stress is calculated using the formula σ = Mc/I, where σ is the bending stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber, and I is the moment of inertia. Normal stress is calculated using the formula σ = F/A, where σ is the normal stress, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What are the effects of bending stress and normal stress on beams?

Bending stress can cause a beam to bend or deform, while normal stress can cause a beam to elongate or compress. Both types of stress can lead to failure if they exceed the beam's strength. Bending stress can also cause shear stress in beams, which can lead to shear failure.

4. How do the distribution of stress differ in bending stress and normal stress?

In bending stress, the stress is highest at the outermost fibers of the beam and decreases towards the neutral axis. In normal stress, the stress is uniform throughout the cross-sectional area of the beam.

5. What factors can affect the magnitude of bending stress and normal stress in beams?

The magnitude of bending stress is affected by the magnitude of the bending moment, the distance from the neutral axis, and the moment of inertia. The magnitude of normal stress is affected by the magnitude of the applied force and the cross-sectional area of the beam.