Solve Bernoulli's Equation for Water Height Rise

• Thread starter huffy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bernoullis
In summary, water is ejected from a smaller pipe with a higher pressure than the water flowing past the inlet valve. The single pipe has a 2.5 cm diameter, but if the smaller pipe ruptures, propelling water vertically upward as in the figure, the water will rise to a height of 7.34 m.
huffy

Homework Statement

The presure inside the pipe is 6.0 atm and the speed of the water flowing past the inlet valve is 3.00 m/. On a floor 5.0m above the inlet pipe, the single pipe has only a 2.5 cm diameter. Assume that water is an ideal fluid.

C) If the smaller pipe ruptures, propelling water vertically upward as in the figure to what further height h will the water rise? neglect air resistance.

Figure: http://imgur.com/42vlUCu

Homework Equations

Bernoullis equation
velocity at top of figure=12m/s
pressure at top=491400pascals

The Attempt at a Solution

.5(1000kg/m^3)(12m/s^2)=1000kg/m^3(9.81m/s^2)H+.5(1000kg/m^3)(12m/s^2)
I get a weird H of 706.32

Physics news on Phys.org
pls send help :,(

Can you tell us how exactly (more analytically) you apply Bernoulli's equation for the water ejection, because what you wrote as attempt for solution doesn't make much sense, it simplifies to ##0=\rho gH##. What pressure and velocity do you take at the very top of water?

At the very top the pressure should be 491400 pascals and the velocity should be 12 m/s. This was calculated during part a) and b) of the problem. A)What is the speed of the water in the smaller pipe? B)What is the pressure in the smaller pipe at the 5.0m height.

At the 5.0m height the speed should still be 12 m/s since energy is conserved right?

I don't mean at the top pipe, I mean at the top of the ejected water (at height h).

huffy said:
At the 5.0m height the speed should still be 12 m/s since energy is conserved right?
This follows from continuity equation and that the fluid is non compressible, not from energy conservation.

Oh sorry, I misread that. So i need to use bernoullis equation to find the pressure and speed at the top of the ejected water. My notes give me this equation when we talked about geysers so the professor derived this form bernoullis original equation.
23d.GIF
. I am assuming to find the height could I just plug the velocity at the top of the pipe in here to find the height?

Because the pressure should be the same at both places, the start of the ejection and the end of the ejection

Ok well use that equation you say your professor gave you , at post #8. I don't think you get H=706.32 from that equation.

Think about the values of the pressure and velocity at the highest point the water rises? Would the pressure be the same as it was in the pipe?

What would the velocity at that highest point be? Think about at ball, when you throw it up what is its velocity at the higest point it reaches?

Delta² said:
Ok well use that equation you say your professor gave you , at post #8. I don't think you get H=706.32 from that equation.
Yea I got a much reasonable answer from that. The answer i got for the height is approx 7.34 m. way better that in the 700m zone. Can a water ejection from a pipe really go 7.34m though? I feel like it doesn't pass a common sense check.

That is correct

huffy said:
Yea I got a much reasonable answer from that. The answer i got for the height is approx 7.34 m. way better that in the 700m zone. Can a water ejection from a pipe really go 7.34m though? I feel like it doesn't pass a common sense check.
yes maybe it doesn't pass a common sense check but neglecting air resistance and the fact that water speed is not so small (calculate in what height a point mass will reach if it is ejected vertically with a speed of 12m/s) plays a role here.

thank you for your guidance!

1. How do I use Bernoulli's equation to solve for water height rise?

To use Bernoulli's equation to solve for water height rise, you will need to know the initial and final velocities of the water, the initial and final pressures, and the density of the water. You will also need to make sure that the fluid is incompressible and the flow is steady.

2. What is Bernoulli's equation and how does it relate to water height rise?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid in motion. For water height rise, Bernoulli's equation can be used to calculate the change in height of the water as it flows through a pipe or a constriction.

3. How does the conservation of energy play a role in solving Bernoulli's equation for water height rise?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In the case of Bernoulli's equation for water height rise, energy is conserved as the potential energy of the water is converted to kinetic energy and vice versa.

4. Can Bernoulli's equation be used to calculate water height rise in real-world situations?

Yes, Bernoulli's equation can be used to calculate water height rise in real-world situations, such as water flowing through pipes or nozzles. However, it is important to note that Bernoulli's equation is a simplified model and may not account for all factors, such as viscosity and turbulence, that can affect the actual height rise of water.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions that should be considered when using Bernoulli's equation to solve for water height rise?

Yes, there are some limitations and assumptions to consider when using Bernoulli's equation for water height rise. These include assuming the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady, there is no friction, and the fluid is non-viscous. In addition, Bernoulli's equation may not be accurate in situations where there are abrupt changes in the flow, such as at corners or sudden expansions.