Solving Bessel's Equation: Homework

• Thread starter TheFerruccio
  • Start date
In summary, the author is struggling with a homework problem and is looking for help. They substitute in the variable and reach a dead end, so they try a different method. They reach a limit and find that y(x) = c_1 \frac{J_4(x)}{x^2}+c_2\frac{Y_4(x)}{x^2} .
TheFerruccio

Homework Statement

Find a general solution in terms of Bessel functions. (Use the indicated transformations and show the details)

Homework Equations

[tex]x^2y''+5xy'+(x^2-12)y = 0[/tex]
[tex]y = \frac{u}{x^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer needs to be in the form of Bessel functions of the first and second kind, depending on what my roots are.

What is throwing me off is the substitution. The book never explained the nature of substitution for this type of problem. I just literally substituted in that variable like they told me, but I have an inkling that this is extremely wrong, and is going in the completely wrong direction:

[tex]x^2(6ux^{-4})+5x(-2ux^{-3})+(x^2-12)ux^{-2} = 0[/tex]
[tex]-16ux^{-2} + u = 0[/tex]

After this, I reached a dead end. I do not know how to relate this to finding my roots of r from the indicial equation. I have a sense that I need to use the series method first, then somewhere in the middle of the problem, do the substitution.

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't calculate the derivatives correctly. Remember that u is a function of x, so when you calculate y'' and y', you have to use the quotient rule.

vela said:
You didn't calculate the derivatives correctly. Remember that u is a function of x, so when you calculate y'' and y', you have to use the quotient rule.

Ohhh, I thought [tex]u[/tex] was just a constant.

EDIT: I made two mistakes here. First: I forgot to convert the substitution back. Second: I forgot that the values of [tex]\nu[/tex] differ by an integer, which necessitates using the Bessel function of the second kind for the other solution.

Here's an attempt to solve it. I believe that, since [tex]u[/tex] is a function of [tex]x[/tex], then I am to use the product rule to find all the associated derivatives, then plug into the original equation in order to come up with Bessel's differential equation.

[tex]y = \frac{u}{x^2}[/tex]
[tex]-2ux^{-3}+u'x^{-2}[/tex]
[tex]6ux^{-4}-2u'x^{-3}+u''x^{-2}-2u'x^{-3}[/tex]

Plugging in...

[tex]x^{2}(6x^{-4}u-2x^{-3}u'+x^{-2}u''-2x^{-3}u')+5x(-2x^{-3}u+x^{-2}u')+x^2(x^{-2}u)-12(x^{-2}u) = 0[/tex]

This leaves me with...

[tex]u''+\frac{u'}{x}+(\frac{-16}{x^2}+1) = 0[/tex]

multiplying by [tex]x^2[/tex]...

[tex]x^2u''+xu' + (x^2-16)u = 0[/tex]

so

[tex]\nu=\pm4[/tex]

Using the Bessel function of the first kind of order [tex]\nu[/tex] I get the first solution...

[tex]u_1(x) = y_1(x)x^2 = c_1x^4\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^mx^{2m}}{2^{2m+4}m!\Gamma(m+5)}[/tex]

The second solution uses the Bessel function of the second kind.

[tex]u_2(x) = \frac{1}{\sin{4\pi}}[J_{4}(x)\cos{4\pi}-J_{-4}(x)][/tex]

Last edited:
Two problems: First, the solutions to the differential equation for u(x), not y(x), are the Bessel functions. Second, when ν is an integer, Jν and J aren't linearly independent, so you still need to find a second independent solution for u(x).

Disregard the previous post I made. I have the problem of solving my confusion while typing the post, which results in countless edits and, consequently, likely confusion for the helpers here who are contributing their time. Sorry.

TheFerruccio said:
The second solution uses the Bessel function of the second kind.

[tex]u_2(x) = \frac{1}{\sin{4\pi}}[J_{4}(x)\cos{4\pi}-J_{-4}(x)][/tex]
This doesn't work either because sin 4π=0 and J4=J-4. You need to write it as a limit. In any case, you're probably just expected to express u(x) as a linear combination of J4(x) and Y4(x). You don't need to write out what the functions actually equal.

vela said:
This doesn't work either because sin 4π=0 and J4=J-4. You need to write it as a limit. In any case, you're probably just expected to express u(x) as a linear combination of J4(x) and Y4(x). You don't need to write out what the functions actually equal.

Again, right (read the first part of my post, I stuck an edit there yesterday, I realized both mistakes and later said to disregard that post, lol).

Anyway, here's the solution I got, for the sake of closure (not the mathematical closure):

[tex]y(x) = c_1\frac{J_4(x)}{x^2}+c_2\frac{Y_4(x)}{x^2}[/tex] (edited for typo)

where
[tex]J_4(x)=x^4\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^mx^{2m}}{2^{2m+4}m!(M+4)!}[/tex]

and

[tex]Y_4(x) = \frac{2}{\pi}x^4J_4(x)(\ln(\frac{x}{2})+ \gamma)+\frac{x^4}{\pi}\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{m-1}(\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{j}+\sum_{j=1}^{m+4}\frac{1}{j})}{2^{2m+4}m!(m+4)!}x^{2m}-\frac{x^{-4}}{\pi}\sum_{m=0}^{3}\frac{(3-m)!}{2^{2m-4}m!}x^{2m}[/tex]

where

[tex]\gamma = \lim_{n \to 0}(\sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{1}{k} - \ln(n))[/tex] AKA the Euler–Mascheroni constant, which is [tex]\approx .577[/tex]
Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

1. What is Bessel's Equation and why is it important?

Bessel's Equation is a second-order differential equation that arises in many areas of physics and engineering, particularly in problems involving circular or cylindrical symmetry. It is important because it has applications in a wide range of fields such as electromagnetism, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

2. How do you solve Bessel's Equation?

The general solution to Bessel's Equation involves finding the roots of a special function known as the Bessel function. These roots are then used to construct a linear combination of two independent solutions. However, for specific cases, there are various techniques such as series solutions, asymptotic expansions, and integral transforms that can be used to obtain solutions.

3. What are the boundary conditions for solving Bessel's Equation?

The boundary conditions for solving Bessel's Equation depend on the specific problem being solved. In general, they involve specifying the behavior of the solution at the origin and at infinity. For example, in problems involving circular symmetry, the solution is typically required to be finite at the origin, while for problems involving cylindrical symmetry, the solution must be finite at both the origin and at infinity.

4. Are there any special techniques for solving Bessel's Equation?

Yes, there are several special techniques that can be used to solve Bessel's Equation. These include the Frobenius method, the method of separation of variables, and the method of Laplace transforms. Additionally, there are specialized software programs and online tools available that can assist with solving Bessel's Equation.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Bessel's Equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Bessel's Equation include using incorrect boundary conditions, not accounting for all possible solutions, and making algebraic errors when simplifying the equations. It is also important to pay attention to the order of the Bessel function and to use the correct form of the equation for the specific problem being solved.