Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best introductory book to senior algebra

1. Jun 7, 2004 #1
    Hello everyone, I'm a bit of beginner to the more complicated algebra and geometry. Im going in to grade 12 next september, but I'd like to get a headstart on the material, and im wondering what introductory "advanced" (for say) Algebra books were of benifet to you. A first year university book will be fine, as long as it introduces the following things

• 3-dimensional geometry/graphing
    • Matrices? (are matrices teh plural version of matrix's? - thats what i need - matrix's AHH that sounds so bad..)
    • Proofs (inductive / deductive)
    • etc. anything that a first year algebra/geometry course discusses

Any ideas, or books would be appreciated greatly..

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2004 #2

Janitor

Science Advisor

Here is one that is probably available in a public library near you:

http://store.doverpublications.com/0486663418.html
    Click on the Table of contents hypertext at that site to see the topics in it.

It will actually keep you challenged well into your college years--unless you are another Matt Grime type. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  4. Aug 15, 2004 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

I suggest Introduction to modern algebra by john kelley, available used on abebooks.com for $10. it was the official text for "continental classroom" in the 1960's a tv class taught at 7 am on television.

can you believe the us once had an abstract algebra class on tv for free? that is what camelot was like before kennedy was killed.

5. Aug 27, 2004 #4
  6. Aug 30, 2004 #5

cronxeh

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?