Best time interval for measuring capacitor discharge?

In summary, the person is discussing their coursework, which involves testing the equation 'V = Vo e-t/RC' and choosing values of R and C to make the voltage across the capacitor fall to half in 15 seconds. They mention that they decided to record the voltage every 10 seconds instead of 5, but they are unsure if this will yield enough readings. Two suggestions are given: using a digital oscilloscope and repeating the experiment three times with specific time intervals for recording the voltage. The person expresses gratitude for the suggestions and plans to try them the next day.
accountdracula

Homework Statement

My (practise) coursework is to test the equation 'V = Vo e-t/RC' and choose values of R and C so that the voltage across the capacitor falls to half in 15 seconds. I decided it would be too difficult and inaccurate to record the voltage across the capacitor every 5 seconds, so I chose 10. However, I'm not sure if this will get me enough readings.

Homework Equations

V = Vo e-t/RC

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided it would be too difficult and inaccurate to record the voltage across the capacitor every 5 seconds, plus having a small time interval would give a larger percentage error, so I chose 10. However, I'm not sure if this will get me enough readings if the voltage is going to halve in 15 seconds. However, I know the rate of discharge will decrease, so it may be suitable anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suggestion 1: Use a digital oscilloscope.
Suggestion 2: Repeat the experiment three times. In each case, wait for the voltage to dip below some voltage - say 5.00 - before starting the timer. Then catch the voltage at 5 seconds, 20 seconds, 35 seconds, and 50 seconds on the first try. Then at 10 seconds, 25 seconds, 40 seconds, and 55 seconds on the seconds try. Then 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 46 seconds, and 60 seconds on the third try. That will give you zero to 60 seconds in 5 second intervals and 15 seconds to make each recording.

Likes accountdracula
.Scott said:
Suggestion 1: Use a digital oscilloscope.
Suggestion 2: Repeat the experiment three times. In each case, wait for the voltage to dip below some voltage - say 5.00 - before starting the timer. Then catch the voltage at 5 seconds, 20 seconds, 35 seconds, and 50 seconds on the first try. Then at 10 seconds, 25 seconds, 40 seconds, and 55 seconds on the seconds try. Then 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 46 seconds, and 60 seconds on the third try. That will give you zero to 60 seconds in 5 second intervals and 15 seconds to make each recording.

That's a really clever idea, thank you! I'll definitely try that tomorrow.

1. What is the best time interval for measuring capacitor discharge?

The best time interval for measuring capacitor discharge depends on the specific capacitor and circuit being used. It can range from microseconds to seconds, and may need to be adjusted for optimal accuracy.

2. How do I determine the appropriate time interval for measuring capacitor discharge?

To determine the appropriate time interval, you can refer to the capacitor's datasheet or perform experiments with different time intervals to find the most accurate measurement. Factors such as the capacitor's capacitance and the circuit's resistance and voltage can also affect the ideal time interval.

3. Why is the time interval important for measuring capacitor discharge?

The time interval is important because it determines the accuracy of the measurement. A shorter time interval can provide more precise data, but it may also require more sophisticated measurement equipment. A longer time interval may be more practical for some applications, but it may also result in less accurate data.

4. Can I use a fixed time interval for measuring capacitor discharge?

It is not recommended to use a fixed time interval for measuring capacitor discharge, as it may not account for variations in the circuit or capacitor's behavior. It is best to adjust the time interval based on the specific components and conditions being used.

5. How does the time interval affect the discharge curve of a capacitor?

The time interval can affect the shape and accuracy of the capacitor's discharge curve. A shorter time interval can capture more data points and provide a more precise curve, while a longer time interval may result in a more generalized curve with less detail.