Finding Angular Velocity of Bicyclist in Inward Circle

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the angular velocity of a bicyclist in a circular motion while leaning inwards at an angle a from the vertical. Two methods are used, one using torque equilibrium and the other using forces, but they result in different answers. There is also a discussion about treating the mass of the rider as a point at height h and taking torque around the point of contact. The final conclusion is that the torque method is likely correct, but there may have been a mistake in assuming the friction force was equal to the sum of all centripetal forces.
Jzhang27143
Suppose that a bicyclist is moving in a circle of radius R, leaning inwards at an angle a from the verticle, and that the height of the person (h) is less than R but not negligible. I am trying to find the angular velocity the bicyclist must move at.

I tried doing this in two ways: using torque equilibrium and forces but I got different answers.

Using forces, I found the total centripetal force acting on the body using an integral. If the person is a rod of mass per length density q, the centripetal force on one piece of the rod of length dr and a distance r from the point of contact is q dr * w^2 (R - r sin a). After evaluating the integral, I got Mw^2 R - 1/2 M h w^2 sin a. This centripetal force came from friction at the point of contact. I used geometry to get friction /Mg = tan a so friction = Mg tan a. Equating this with the expression for the integral gave me w^2 = g/R tan a (1 - h/2R sin a)^-1.

However using torque, I found the differential expression of the torque to be q dr * w^2 (R - r sin a) r cos a. After evaluating the integral I got Mw^2 h cos a (R/2 - h/3 sin a). In the rotating reference frame, this must balance the torque due to gravity which is Mg h/2 sin a. Equating this gave me
w^2 = g/R tan a (1 - 2h/3R sin a)^-1.

I am convinced that the answer from the torque method is correct but I don't know what is wrong with my first method.

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to the homework section. I think you are supposed to treat the mass of the bicycle rider as a point at height h.

Jzhang27143 said:
I used geometry to get friction /Mg = tan a so friction = Mg tan a.
Why?

Torque around what?

mfb said:
I moved the thread to the homework section. I think you are supposed to treat the mass of the bicycle rider as a point at height h.

Why?

Torque around what?
If you draw a free body diagram of the person, the vector sum of the normal and friction forces should be parallel to the person's body so the two vectors form a right triangle with one of the angles being a. And torque is taken about the point of contact.

I think my mistake was saying that the friction force was the same as the sum of all the centripetal forces since they act at different points.

Jzhang27143 said:
If you draw a free body diagram of the person, the vector sum of the normal and friction forces should be parallel to the person's body so the two vectors form a right triangle with one of the angles being a. And torque is taken about the point of contact.
That may be true, but it's not clear to me. Taking torque about the point of contact leaves an unbalanced torque from gravity. That's ok, because there will be effectively an angular acceleration about the point of contact with the ground. But what is the relationship between that net torque and w?

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving in a circular path. It is usually measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Linear velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line, while angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating. Linear velocity is usually measured in meters per second, while angular velocity is measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

3. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the radius of the circular path.

4. How does a bicyclist's body position affect their angular velocity in an inward circle?

A bicyclist's body position can affect their angular velocity in an inward circle by changing the radius of the circular path. A smaller radius will result in a higher angular velocity, while a larger radius will result in a lower angular velocity.

5. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative if the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the chosen reference direction. This can also be represented by a negative sign in front of the numerical value of the angular velocity.