Big O Notation: Better Approximation than o

In summary, while discussing Taylor's theorem, the professor emphasized that O(|x - x_{0}|^{2}) is a much better approximation than o(|x - x_{0}|) as x goes to x_{0}. This is because O(|x - x_{0}|^{2}) is bounded as the quantity it is being compared to, squared, goes to zero, while o(|x - x_{0}|) may still be little o to that quantity squared. The student agrees with the concept of Big O/little o, but still has some confusion during application.
diligence
While discussing Taylor's theorem, my professor pointed out that for n=2, Taylor's Theorem says:

[itex] f(x) = f(x_{0}) + f'(x_{0})(x - x_{0}) + O(|x - x_{0}|^{2}) [/itex]

He then emphasized that [itex]O(|x - x_{0}|^{2}) [/itex] is a much better approximation than [itex] o(|x - x_{0}|)[/itex].

But how is [itex]O(|x - x_{0}|^{2}) [/itex] a better approximation than [itex] o(|x - x_{0}|)[/itex]?
(I'm assuming he means as x goes to x_0)

I know in this situation (as x goes to x_o) if something is little o, it means it goes to zero faster than whatever its being compared to goes to zero. And if something is Big O of the same thing squared, then it's bounded as the thing it's being compared to, squared, goes to zero. And I understand that if something goes to zero, then that same thing squared goes to zero much faster, but I can't see exactly why we can conclude that Big O of something squared is better than little o of the same quantity not squared. For instance, if something is little o when compared to a quantity that goes to zero, how do you know it's not also little o to that quantity squared? In that case, certainly little o is better than Big O.

I get the basic concept of Big O/little o, but I guess I'm still prone to confusion during application.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I agree with you. Perhaps your professor mis-spoke or you misunderstood what he said. Or he is just mistaken. It happens.

ok thanks. i'll talk to him about it. I could have very well written the wrong thing during the firestorm that is notetaking in that class.

Your professor is correct. Consider the function |x-x0|3/2. This is o(|x-x0|), but not O(|x-x0|2).

What is Big O Notation?

Big O Notation is a mathematical notation used to describe the time complexity of an algorithm. It is used to analyze the efficiency and performance of an algorithm as the input size grows.

Why is Big O Notation important?

Big O Notation allows us to compare the performance of different algorithms and determine which one is more efficient for a given problem. It also helps in predicting the scalability of an algorithm and identifying potential bottlenecks.

What is the difference between "Big O" and "o" in Big O Notation?

"Big O" represents the upper bound of the growth rate of an algorithm, while "o" represents the exact growth rate. In other words, "Big O" is used for worst-case analysis, while "o" is used for best-case analysis.

How is Big O Notation better than o?

Big O Notation provides a more generalized and less restrictive way of analyzing the time complexity of an algorithm. It allows for a wider range of possibilities and provides a better approximation of the growth rate of an algorithm.

What are some common examples of Big O Notation?

Some common examples of Big O Notation are:
- O(1) - constant time
- O(log n) - logarithmic time
- O(n) - linear time
- O(n log n) - linearithmic time
- O(n^2) - quadratic time
- O(2^n) - exponential time