Calculating Kinetic Energy of Reaction Products in 13-C (d,n) 14-N Reaction

In summary, you use the Q-value equation to find the kinetic energy of the particles in a reaction. To calculate the total kinetic energy of the products, you must use conservation of energy.
f4d_girl
"Calculate the total KE of the products of the reaction

13-C (d,n) 14-N if the incoming deuteron (d) has KE = 36.3 MeV"

I used the Q-value equation which is

Q = KEn + KEN - KEn - KEd

but to find the kinetic energy for each particle, velocity is required (which isn't given in the question)

So, i tried to use E=MC^2 and didn't work out well

to calculate the total KE of the products (KE of neutron and nitrogen)

can't i just use E=MC^2?

please help:confused:

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One has to use conservation of total energy, i.e the sum of kinetic and rest energies before = sum of kinetic and rest energies after.

The Q value is the difference in rest energy (masses). If Q > 0, the released energy is manifest in the kinetic energy of the products.

If Q < 0, some energy (e.g. kinetic energy of one or both reactants) must be applied.

umm okay
so you're saying that i should use KE before = KE after?
but the question is how do i find a kinetic energy of Carbon, neutron and nitrogen?
using E=mc^2?

Try KE (after) = KE (before) + Q or

KE(final) = KE(initial) + Q

and one can use classical mechanics for kinetic energy since 36.3 MeV << 1875.6 MeV (rest mass of d).

If one wants to calculate the specific kinetic energy of the particles, then one must apply conservation of momentum (a vector quantity) in both the x and y or longitudinal and transverse directions taken with respect to the incident velocity of the deuteron. A reasonable assumption would be that the beam of deuterons is impinging upon a fixed (solid) target of C.

Last edited:
what I'm asking is, is KE(before) = 36.3 MeV?

KE= 0.5 mv^2, but velocity isn't given in the question

i still didn't get it
perhaps this is too complicated question for physics grade 12 IB
but thanks anyway

f4d_girl said:
what I'm asking is, is KE(before) = 36.3 MeV?

KE= 0.5 mv^2, but velocity isn't given in the question
You are given the kinetic energy of 36.3 MeV, which is 1/2 mv2.

You could calculate v = sqrt(2KE/m).

Try this page and browse the site - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nucene/nucbin.html

i've never heard of this equation v = sqrt(2KE/m)
but i'll try!
thanks

Related to Calculating Kinetic Energy of Reaction Products in 13-C (d,n) 14-N Reaction

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the energy required to hold together the nucleus of an atom. It is the energy needed to overcome the strong nuclear force that tries to push protons apart.

2. Why is binding energy important?

Binding energy is important because it is what keeps the nucleus of an atom stable. Without enough binding energy, the nucleus would break apart, leading to radioactive decay.

3. How is binding energy calculated?

Binding energy is calculated using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², where E is the energy, m is the mass defect (difference between the mass of the nucleus and the sum of its individual particles), and c is the speed of light.

4. What factors affect binding energy?

The main factors that affect binding energy are the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, as well as the type of force between them. Generally, larger nuclei have higher binding energy due to the presence of more strong nuclear force.

5. How is binding energy used in nuclear reactions?

Binding energy is used in nuclear reactions to determine the stability of atoms and to calculate the amount of energy released or absorbed during a reaction. It is also used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity through nuclear fission reactions.