Calculate Grams of Solute Needed for 0.1 N Ca(OH)2 & 5% NaCl

• Thread starter buffgilville
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grams
To calculate the grams of solute needed for 100 mL of this solution, we need to convert the volume to liters by dividing by 1000 and then multiply by the molar mass of Ca(OH)2 (74 g/mol). This results in 0.74 grams of Ca(OH)2 needed.For the second question, a 5% NaCl solution means that 5 grams of NaCl is dissolved in 100 mL of solution. Therefore, for 100 mL of this solution, we need 5 grams of NaCl. There is no formula needed for this type of problem, just a basic understanding of percent composition. In summary, to prepare 100 mL of 0.1 N Ca(OH
buffgilville
Please help me with this:

Calculate how many grams of solute are necessary to prepare:
1) 100 mL of 0.1 N (Normal Solution) Ca(OH)2 (molecular weight = 74)

2) 100 mL 5% NaCl (molecular weight = 40)

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far and where are you getting stuck?

I know how to find the solute of Molarity of solution, but I don't know how to find the grams of solute for Normal Solution. I've never done this type of question, and I can't find the formula to find it.

As for question 2, I I know that a solution is 1% when it contains 1 gram of solute per 100 mL of solution. The question is 100mL of 5% NaCl. Does that mean that there is 5 grams of solute? Is there a formula for solving this type of problems?

A 0.1 Normal solution contains 0.1 moles of solute per liter of solution.

Related to Calculate Grams of Solute Needed for 0.1 N Ca(OH)2 & 5% NaCl

What is the formula for calculating grams of solute needed for 0.1 N Ca(OH)2 and 5% NaCl?

The formula for calculating grams of solute needed for 0.1 N Ca(OH)2 and 5% NaCl is:
Grams of Solute = (0.1 N x Volume of Solution in Liters x Molar Mass of Solute in g/mol) / 1000

What is the molar mass of Ca(OH)2 and NaCl?

The molar mass of Ca(OH)2 (calcium hydroxide) is 74.1 g/mol and the molar mass of NaCl (sodium chloride) is 58.4 g/mol.

How do I convert a percentage to a decimal?

To convert a percentage to a decimal, simply divide the percentage by 100. For example, 5% can be converted to a decimal by dividing 5 by 100, which equals 0.05.

What is the definition of 0.1 N?

0.1 N (normality) is a unit of concentration that represents the number of equivalents of solute per liter of solution. It is equal to 1 gram equivalent of solute per liter of solution.

Can this formula be used for any other solutions?

Yes, this formula for calculating grams of solute needed for a specific concentration (N) and volume of solution can be used for any other solutions, as long as the molar mass of the solute is known.