Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biomedical engineering

1. Nov 22, 2006 #1
    do i need to be good at chem?

is there lots of biology? i havent done bio yet..

im more strong in maths and physics., but wondering what it takes to do biomedical..

or what wud be a better option?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2006 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lots of Chemistry? YES.

Lots of Biology? YES.

Better option? First thing's first, how about some spelling and grammar? :tongue2:

4. Nov 22, 2006 #3
    Okay. Now tell me what i should do.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  5. Nov 22, 2006 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL if only it were that easy. I am in no position to tell YOU what to do. Aren't you capable of making decisions for yourself? :rolleyes: Any partiular reason you're interested in Biomedical Engineering? Do you know what biomedical means?

All I can say is you will need to take several biology and chemistry classes if you want to major in Biomedical Engineering. The rest is up to you.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  6. Nov 22, 2006 #5
    hi man

i am studying biomedical engineering , and this is my seconde year

you will study 6 courses of chemestry
    1) general chemestry ( 1 course )
    2) biochemestry ( 2 courses )
    3) organic biochemestry ( 2 courses )
    4) biophysical chemestry ( 1 course )

biomedical engineering is the science that try to slove the medical problems ,

you will have a very good future , and alot of work opportunities

i will start thread about the 1st and 2nd year in all engineering departments , you can viste the thread brother

good luck

7. Nov 22, 2006 #6
    okk thanks!

8. Nov 23, 2006 #7
    howbout aerospace is that good?

9. Nov 23, 2006 #8
    well , its depend in the place that you live in :smile:

aerospace engineering have no good future and no work apportunties in alot of contries ,:grumpy:

if you want my advice :rolleyes:

gooooo to the biomedical engineering :wink:

10. Nov 23, 2006 #9
    I am in my second last semester of biomedical engineering and I only took one basic microbiology course and one physiology course...the amount of biology classes you take depends on the university/college.

11. Nov 24, 2006 #10
    australia?

12. Nov 26, 2006 #11
    im also very interested in this career path. Is there a lot of math and physics involved as well as the chem and biology part? If u can post some good information on this career please post a link. thanks.

13. Nov 26, 2006 #12
    lol yeah what he said

14. Nov 26, 2006 #13
    I'm alose interested in the subject :-D
    maybe it would be interesting if those of you who are biomed engineers could share your experience, what field do you work etc

15. Nov 26, 2006 #14
    hi again meee

aerospace engineering have a good future in the contries that have space researches centers just like usa
    i dont know how much australia interested in this kind of researches
    by the way , in aerospace engineering you have to deal with heavy mechanical engineering work

checkout this informations
    Aerospace engineering is the branch of engineering that concerns aircraft, spacecraft, and related topics. Originally called aeronautical engineering and dealing solely with aircraft, the broader term "aerospace engineering" has replaced the former in most usage, as flight technology advanced to include craft operating outside the Earth's atmosphere.[1] In analogy with "aeronautical engineering", the branch is sometimes referred to as astronautical engineering, although this term usually only concerns craft which operate in outer space.

and this is from wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerospace_engineering

--------------------------------------------------------

checkout this informations about biomedical engineering
    Biomedical engineering (BME) is the application of engineering principles and techniques to the medical field. It combines the design and problem solving expertise of engineering with the medical expertise of physicians to help improve patient health care and the quality of life of healthy individuals. As a relatively new discipline, much of the work in biomedical engineering consists of research and development, covering an array of fields: bioinformatics, medical imaging, image processing, physiological signal processing, biomechanics, biomaterials and bioengineering, systems analysis, 3-D modeling, etc. Examples of concrete applications of biomedical engineering are the development and manufacture of biocompatible prostheses, medical devices, diagnostic devices and imaging equipment such as MRIs and EEGs, and pharmaceutical drugs.

Biomedical engineers usually require degrees from recognized universities, and sound knowledge of engineering and biological science. Their jobs often pay well (ranging from US $50,000 to $125,000 per year in 2005). Though the number of biomedical engineers is currently low (under 10,000), the number is expected to rise as modern medicine improves. Universities are now improving their biomedical engineering courses because interest in the field is increasing. Currently, according to U.S. News & World Report, the program at Johns Hopkins University is ranked first in the nation in the category of bioengineering/biomedical engineering. At the undergraduate level, an increasing number of programs are also becoming recognized by ABET as accredited bioengineering/biomedical engineering programs in the United States. Duke University, ranked second in the U.S. by U.S. News, was the first program accredited by the Engineering Council for Profession Development (now ABET) in September of 1972.

and thats also form Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomedical_engineering

you can see , the no. of biomedical engineers is very low , and low no. mean high sallery

i will tell you all some of the subjects that evryone will study in biomedical engineering ....

medical topics
    - Anatomy ( 2 courses )
    - physiology ( 2 courses )
    - Tissue ( 2 courses )
    - bones pathology ( 1 course )
    - cardiac pathology ( 1 course )
    - urinary system pathology ( 1 course )
    - molecualr and cell biology ( 1 course )
    - medical physics ( 1 course )
    - biomedical Statistics ( 1 course )
    - nervous system ( 1 course )

engineering topics
    - electronics devises and cct. theory ( 6 courses )
    - electrical cct. ( 2 courses )
    - engineering mechanic ( 2 courses )
    - communication ( 2 courses )
    - control systems ( 2 courses )
    - programing ( 2 courses )
    - strenth of materials ( 1 course )
    - material scince ( 2 courses )

biomedical engineering topics
    - biomechanic ( 2 courses )
    - biomaterials ( 2 courses )
    - medical devices ( 6 courses )
    - laser and obticals medical app. ( 2 courses )
    - bioelectric signals ( 2 courses )
    - hospital design ( 1 course )

chemestry topics
    - general chemestry ( 1 course )
    - biochemestry ( 2 courses )
    - organic biochemestry ( 2 courses )
    - biophysical chemestry ( 1 course )

i really forget alot of courses , and i dont know others , thats what i remeberd know

if you need to know any thing about the above topics feel free to ask me

good luck

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  16. Nov 26, 2006 #15
    now im only a high school student but it sounds like the competition to get into biomedical engineering is very feirce is this true?? Like do people usually complete a bachelors before getting accepted?

17. Nov 28, 2006 #16
    cool thankz

18. Nov 28, 2006 #17
    hi mach

thats not true

you will enjoy when you study biomedical engineering , cuz the subjects you study is diffrent and the places you study in also diffrent

you will enjoy when you take anatomy lecture in medicne school , and then take a electronics lecture in school of engineering

you will not be weariness

sure :smile:

good luck

19. Nov 28, 2006 #18
    :smile:

your welcome

20. Dec 4, 2006 #19
    Do you have to take chemical engineering courses, or is this program which you speak of geared more towards mechanical and electrical engineering with applications to the biomedical industry?

21. Jan 12, 2008 #20
    So this thread is kind of old, I'm not sure if any of the responders are now BME's. If there are any BME's in here by chance, could you post about your past experience as an undergrad, any regrets, and how long did it take you to find work?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?