1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biot-Savart Law Problem

1. May 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A wire is formed into the shape of two half circles connected by equal-length straight sections. A current I flows in the circuit clockwise as shown. Determine (a) The magnitude and the direction of the magnetic field at the center, C, and (b) the magnetic dipole moment of the circuit"

2. Relevant equations
    Biot-Savart Law -> dB = (Mu * I * dL) / (4 * Pi * R^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer is

( Mu * I * [R1 + R2] )/ (4 * R1 * R2)

Not sure how they get it, I'm seeing it as two half circles and you minus them from each other.

B = ( Mu * I * [2 * Pi * R1 / 2] ) / (4 * Pi * R1^2)
    B1 = (Mu * I) / (2 * R1)

B2 = (Mu * I) / (2 * R2)

Bt = B1 + B2 ?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2007 #2

Do you know the magnetic field in the center of a circle loop with radius a and current i ?

4. May 15, 2007 #3
    B = (Mu * I) / (2 * Pi * a); where R = a; I = Ienclosed.
  5. May 15, 2007 #4
    What i know is

The magnetic field in the question is the superposition of contributions of two half-circle loops.

Best regards
  6. Mar 1, 2011 #5
    This question uses the Biot-Savart Law:

[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi}\int \frac{d\vec{l} \times \hat{r}}{r^2}[/tex]

In this case, use cylindrical co-ordinates to find your field for the two radii. For the straight parts, the current is parallel to the r-hat vector, and as such the B-field is zero on those sections. For the two radii:

[tex] dl = rd\phi \hat{\phi}; \hat{r} = \hat{s} [/tex]

Use the cross product and integrate over the angle to get your expression. Do this for the two different radii and add together to give your final magnetic field.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?