How Does the Biot-Savart Law Apply to a Wire Shaped in Two Half Circles?

In summary, the problem asks for the magnetic field at the center of a circuit formed by two half circles connected by straight sections, with current flowing clockwise. The Biot-Savart Law is used to calculate the field, and the final expression is the sum of the contributions from the two radii of the half circles. The magnetic field is found to be (Mu * I * [R1 + R2]) / (4 * R1 * R2), where R1 and R2 are the radii of the two half circles.
Kyousik

Homework Statement

"A wire is formed into the shape of two half circles connected by equal-length straight sections. A current I flows in the circuit clockwise as shown. Determine (a) The magnitude and the direction of the magnetic field at the center, C, and (b) the magnetic dipole moment of the circuit"

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4218/untitled1mm6.jpg

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law -> dB = (Mu * I * dL) / (4 * Pi * R^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is

( Mu * I * [R1 + R2] )/ (4 * R1 * R2)

Not sure how they get it, I'm seeing it as two half circles and you minus them from each other.

B = ( Mu * I * [2 * Pi * R1 / 2] ) / (4 * Pi * R1^2)
B1 = (Mu * I) / (2 * R1)

B2 = (Mu * I) / (2 * R2)

Bt = B1 + B2 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Do you know the magnetic field in the center of a circle loop with radius a and current i ?

Regards

B = (Mu * I) / (2 * Pi * a); where R = a; I = Ienclosed.

What i know is
[tex]B=\frac{\mu_0I}{2a}[/tex]

The magnetic field in the question is the superposition of contributions of two half-circle loops.

Best regards

This question uses the Biot-Savart Law:

[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi}\int \frac{d\vec{l} \times \hat{r}}{r^2}[/tex]

In this case, use cylindrical co-ordinates to find your field for the two radii. For the straight parts, the current is parallel to the r-hat vector, and as such the B-field is zero on those sections. For the two radii:

[tex] dl = rd\phi \hat{\phi}; \hat{r} = \hat{s} [/tex]

Use the cross product and integrate over the angle to get your expression. Do this for the two different radii and add together to give your final magnetic field.

1. What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a fundamental law in electrodynamics that describes the magnetic field generated by a steady electric current. It states that the magnetic field at a point in space is directly proportional to the current flowing through a wire and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

2. How do you use the Biot-Savart Law to solve problems?

To use the Biot-Savart Law, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the current, the distance from the wire, and the direction in which you want to calculate the magnetic field. You can then use the equation B = μ0I/(4πr) * sin(θ), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, r is the distance, and θ is the angle between the current and the distance vector.

3. What is the difference between the Biot-Savart Law and Ampere's Law?

While both laws describe the relationship between current and magnetic field, the Biot-Savart Law applies to all types of steady currents, while Ampere's Law only applies to steady currents that are symmetrically distributed in space. Additionally, Ampere's Law also takes into account the magnetic field produced by a changing electric field, while the Biot-Savart Law does not.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law has many practical applications, such as in the design of electromagnets, motors, and generators. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and in the study of the Earth's magnetic field.

5. What are the limitations of the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is only applicable to steady currents and cannot be used to calculate the magnetic field produced by changing currents or time-varying electric fields. It also assumes that the current is confined to a wire and does not take into account any external magnetic fields that may affect the current. In some cases, the law may also be difficult to apply due to complex geometries of the current-carrying wire.