Biot-savart law question for an infinite sheet

In summary, the Biot-Savart law is used to calculate the magnetic field (H) at a certain point from a current-carrying conductor. In this problem, a filamentary conductor carrying current I in the az direction extends along the entire negative z axis and connects to a copper sheet in two different configurations. By setting up the appropriate integrals and applying the correct limits, the magnetic field at points along the z-axis can be calculated. In the first configuration, where the copper sheet occupies the x>0,y>0 quadrant, the magnetic field is given by H=I/((2pi^2)z) (ax-ay) A/m. In the second configuration, where the copper sheet occupies the entire xy plane
Artori

Homework Statement

A filamentary conductor carrying current I in the az direction extends along
the entire negative z axis. At z=0 it connects to a copper sheet that fills the
x>0,y>0 quadrant of the xy plane. (a) Set up the Biot-Savart law and
find H everywhere on the z axis; (b) repeat part (a), but with the copper sheet
occupying the entire x y plane (Hint: express aφ in terms of ax and ay and
angle φ in the integral).

Homework Equations

dH=(Idl X ar)/(4pi*r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it wants the H on the z axis I am going to ignore the filament since it is on the z axis.

The current from the filament "I" goes into the sheet so the surface current "K" will be I/(pi/2) since φ ranges from 0 to pi/2 being on the positive xy axis.

H=∫∫(I/(pi/2)ap X (zaz-pap)/(z^2+p^2)^(1/2))/(4pi*p^2)pdpdφ

H=I/(2pi^2)∫∫z/(p(z^2+p^2)^(1/2))aφ with φ=0 to pi/2 and p=0 to infinity for the bounds of the integrands

I did the integral with wolfram alpha and it obviously isn't right. The answer is supposed to be H=I/((2pi^2)z) (ax-ay) A/m for part a and 0 for part b, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach seems correct, but there are a few mistakes in your integration. First, the integral should be in terms of z instead of p, as z is the variable along the z-axis. Also, the limits of integration for z should be from -∞ to ∞, as the sheet extends along the entire negative z-axis. Finally, the surface current should be K=I/(pi/4), as the sheet occupies the entire x>0, y>0 quadrant.

So, the correct integral should be:

H=∫∫(I/(pi/4)ap X (zaz-pap)/(z^2+p^2)^(1/2))/(4pi*p^2)dzdφ

H=I/(2pi^2)∫∫z/(p(z^2+p^2)^(1/2))aφ with φ=0 to pi/2 and p=0 to infinity for the bounds of the integrands

With these corrections, you should get the correct answer of H=I/((2pi^2)z) (ax-ay) A/m for part a. For part b, the sheet now occupies the entire xy plane, so the surface current should be K=I/(pi), and the integral would be:

H=∫∫(I/(pi)ap X (zaz-pap)/(z^2+p^2)^(1/2))/(4pi*p^2)dzdφ

This integral would give you H=0, as the contributions from the sheet cancel out in all directions.

1. What is the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism which describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current in a given space.

2. How does the Biot-Savart law apply to an infinite sheet?

The Biot-Savart law can be applied to an infinite sheet by considering the sheet as a collection of infinitely small current-carrying segments that contribute to the overall magnetic field at a point in space.

3. What are the assumptions made when using the Biot-Savart law for an infinite sheet?

The main assumption is that the sheet has a constant current density that is perpendicular to the sheet itself. Additionally, the sheet is assumed to be infinitely thin and have an infinite extent.

4. What is the equation for the magnetic field produced by an infinite sheet using the Biot-Savart law?

The equation is B = μ0 * I * sin(θ) / 2πd, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current density, θ is the angle between the current and the point in space, and d is the distance from the sheet to the point.

5. How is the Biot-Savart law for an infinite sheet different from that of a finite wire?

While the Biot-Savart law for an infinite sheet considers a continuous current distribution, the law for a finite wire takes into account the individual segments of the wire. Additionally, the equation for the magnetic field from a finite wire involves natural logarithms, while that of an infinite sheet does not.