Troubleshooting the Biot-Savart Law for a Circular Loop and Helmholtz Coil Setup

In summary: The determinant form looks correct, but gives us a minus sign, whereas ##\vec {dl} \times \vec\Re## definitely points as in Figure 5.21 with a positive z-component, so there's something wrong, but what ?
Paintjunkie

Homework Statement

there is no problem really this is not homework its just something I wanted to include in my lab report. the lab was working with the Helmholtz coil. I was trying to come up with the magnetic field at a distance, Z, from the center of a circular loop of radius, R, that has a steady current, I. I thought that I did it right... but I got a negative sign for some reason. where did I go wrong...

Homework Equations

see attached I think I got it all there

The Attempt at a Solution

see attached

Attachments

• biot-savart law.docx
    144.5 KB · Views: 255
Physics news on Phys.org
I updated my attached file. nothing big, just interchanged theta and phi to what I believe is a more conventional (at least in physics) use for theta and phi.

any guidance on this would be great...

ok this is my last update to attachment file. I just changed a few minor things with the ordering and included the Z hat in my final answer

Attachments

• biot-savart law.docx
    144.1 KB · Views: 210
Good thing you added the ##\hat R## and ##\hat z## (even though now I have to edit my reply to remove the comments on those).

I wondered how you got the minus sign in your cross product:
In your figure 5.21 the z component of ##d{\bf B}## is clearly positive.

Can't pinpoint where it goes wrong, but
I suspect ##\ \vec \Re \equiv \vec r -\vec R \ ## has something to do with it ( ##\vec r = (0,0,Z)## ) .

I don't think I did the cross product wrong... but the values in the matrix might be off...

ok ok I think I see where your going. so if (scriptR) ⃗ ≡r ⃗ −R ⃗ with ( r ⃗ =(0,0,Z)) then...

R ⃗ simply equals (R,0,0)?

making (scriptR) ⃗ = (-R,0,Z) and that's what I should put into my cross product?

srry I don't know latex at all.

well that definately fixed the negative sign... I am going to go with it. thank you for fixing it for me. ill attach a the corrected document if anyones curious...

and again thank you for your time on this

Attachments

• biot-savart law.docx
    144.5 KB · Views: 225
But the problem still is that the r component of a vector in r,phi, z coordinates can't really be negative ...

The guys here don't have the problem: their ##\alpha## is ##\pi/2 - \theta##

well.. I am not understanding the issue.

I want to accept it just cause I guess. I am looking at pg 9 in my e&m book its Griffiths 3rd ed. it describes the r-r' formula, does not seem to have the limitation where the vector subtraction has to turn out positive. the problem 1.7 on the following page seems to illustrate this for me. is asks for (4,6,8) - (2,8,7) = (2,-2,1).

so I don't see why the resulting vector can't have a negative component.

##\vec \Re## can have a negative component in cartesian coordinates, but not in the r component when working in cylindrical coordinates (then r is the distance to the z-axis and ##\phi## runs from 0 to ##\pi## -- the 2d polar coordinates).

hmm phi is from 0 to 2pi. not that that voids your point. so is my derivation completely bogus? should I just throw it out and go with Cartesian coordinates?

yes sorry.

are we certain that r=(0,0,Z) and r' = (R,0,0)...

could it be that r(-R,0,0) and r' = (0,0,Z) so I would start at the outside of the bottom circle and move to the center going a distance of -R then go up Z?

is it ok for me to make my source point on the circle that dl is on?

I still have a hard time finding out how to get a positive z component.

I think we don't have the right ##\vec \Re## anymore: the r component is definitely not equal to -R.
More like ##\vec \Re = (R, \phi+\pi, z)##. ##\phi+\pi## is multiplied with 0 and disappears (?).

The determinant form looks correct, but gives us a minus sign, whereas ##\vec {dl} \times \vec\Re## definitely points as in Figure 5.21 with a positive z-component, so there's something wrong, but what ?

And (I'm making things worse now): "The first integral equals 0 because of orthogonality" ?
What exactly is orthogonal in the first integral (and not in the seceond) ?

Bedtime for me..o0)

Let's ask @haruspex :smile:

that almost makes more sense to me. that the source point is on that circle. attached is an updated derivation.

Attachments

• biot-savart law.docx
    144.6 KB · Views: 210
damn yea huh idk I guess that's not right either! soab I need that first integral to go away. it has to cancel itself out somehow...

I like the Griffiths approach in the tekst under fig 5.21: "##d{\bf B}## sweeps out a cone. The horizontal components cancel..." (well, I don't like the term horizontal, but I understand what he means). But I still have a hard time expressing that in a decent integral of the vector product. Has to do with ##\phi## running for the current loop, but we don't want the ##\hat \phi## and the ##\hat r## of the point (0,?,z) where we want to know the field to run at all.

Something screwy with using cylindrical coordinates for a running ##\phi## on the current loop wrt a point on the z-axis (for which ##\phi## is undefined) ?

Last edited:
I just wanted to do it in cylindrical coordinates cause to me it feels like it should be done that way... I do see that derivation and I could put that down in my lab report instead I guess dl would end up being (rsin(theta), 0, rcos(theta)) or something like that

really have to get some sleep now. And work in a few hours. Good luck !

ok thank you for your time

well.. i think i thought of a valid reason that first integral can go away.
(R2π+ Rπ) R ̂=R ⃗-R ⃗

still slightly troubled over the (-R,0,Z) thing...

attached is my updated work..

Attachments

• biot-savart law.docx
    144.2 KB · Views: 184

1. What is the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field generated by a steady electric current. It states that the magnetic field at a certain point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the current-carrying wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point.

2. Who discovered the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law was independently discovered by French physicist Jean-Baptiste Biot and French mathematician Félix Savart in the early 19th century. It was later named after them as a tribute to their contributions to the field of electromagnetism.

3. What is the significance of the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is important because it allows us to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space due to a steady electric current. This is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnets, electric motors, and other devices that use electric currents.

4. What are the limitations of the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is only valid for steady electric currents and does not account for time-varying electric fields. It also assumes that the magnetic field is produced by an infinitely thin wire, which may not be accurate in all situations. Additionally, the law does not take into account the effects of special relativity.

5. How is the Biot-Savart law different from the Ampere's law?

While both laws describe the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields, the Biot-Savart law is more general and can be used to calculate the magnetic field from any current-carrying wire, while Ampere's law is limited to calculating the magnetic field around a straight current-carrying wire or a wire loop. Additionally, Ampere's law relies on the concept of circulation (or closed loops), while the Biot-Savart law does not.