1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biot Savart Law?

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A straight wire caries a 10.0−A current (the figure(Figure 1) ). ABCD is a rectangle with point D in the middle of a 1.10−mm segment of the wire and point Cin the wire. Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field due to this segment at the following points.

YF-28-09.jpg
    2. Relevant equations
    dB = μ*i/4*pi*r ds
    B = μ*i*L/4*pi*r

3. The attempt at a solution
    to find the magnetic field at A, would i integrate along ds to get to the second equation then plug in the necessary information?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2016 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Integrate the first equation over the 1.1 mm length indicated. Use the vector form of the B-S Law to properly capture the geometrical relationship between the current element and the observation points. Your second equation is only valid for the field away from an infinitely long current--not your situation.

4. Mar 6, 2016 #3
    okay, so would i get that my radius = 5cm as well?

5. Mar 6, 2016 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, r is distance (diagonal) from source to observation so it varies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted