Solving Biot-Savarts Law for Finite Thickness Current Loops

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the magnetic field on the axis of a current loop with finite thickness can be calculated by considering the loop as a series of narrow coils connected side by side. The proper way to take into account the thickness is to carry out a more sophisticated integration.
Niles
Hi

When solving Biot-Savarts law for a current loop of radius R, the magnetic field on the axis of the loop is given by (in Tesla)
[tex]
B(z) = \mu_0I\frac{R^2}{(R^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}
[/tex]
where I is the current through the loop. However, this derivation assumes that the loop has an infinitesimal thickness. But how is the "proper" way to take into account the fact that a current loops has a finite thickness?

My book on Electrodynamics (Griffiths) does not address this issue, and it is something I have thought about for some time.Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:
Hi

When solving Biot-Savarts law for a current loop of radius R, the magnetic field on the axis of the loop is given by (in Tesla)
[tex]
B(z) = \mu_0I\frac{R^2}{(R^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}
[/tex]
where I is the current through the loop. However, this derivation assumes that the loop has an infinitesimal thickness. But how is the "proper" way to take into account the fact that a current loops has a finite thickness?

My book on Electrodynamics (Griffiths) does not address this issue, and it is something I have thought about for some time.

Niles.

I suppose by carrying out a more sophisticated integration where,perhaps,the thick coil can be considered as a number of narrow coils connected side by side and making good electrical contact with each other.

(Is your equation missing a 2pi?)

1. How do you solve Biot-Savart's Law for finite thickness current loops?

To solve Biot-Savart's Law for finite thickness current loops, you need to use the formula: B = μ₀I/4π ∫ dl x ̂/r². This formula takes into account the finite thickness of the current loop by integrating over the length of the loop, represented by dl, and dividing by the square of the distance, r, from the point of interest to the current element.

2. What is Biot-Savart's Law and how does it relate to finite thickness current loops?

Biot-Savart's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire or loop. For finite thickness current loops, the law takes into account the thickness of the loop by integrating over its length and dividing by the square of the distance from the point of interest.

3. What are the units for the variables in the Biot-Savart's Law equation?

The units for B (magnetic field) is Tesla (T), I (current) is Ampere (A), μ₀ (permeability of free space) is Henry per meter (H/m), dl (length of current element) is meter (m), and r (distance from point of interest) is meter (m).

4. Can Biot-Savart's Law be used for current loops with varying thickness?

Yes, Biot-Savart's Law can be used for current loops with varying thickness. In this case, the integration over the length of the loop would need to be divided into smaller segments, with each segment having a different thickness and current value.

5. Are there any simplifications or approximations that can be made when solving Biot-Savart's Law for finite thickness current loops?

Yes, there are some simplifications and approximations that can be made when solving Biot-Savart's Law for finite thickness current loops. For example, if the loop has a constant thickness and the distance from the point of interest to the loop is much larger than the thickness of the loop, the formula can be simplified to B = μ₀I/2r. However, for more accurate results, the full formula should be used.