What is the role of biasing in a Class A BJT amplifier?

In summary, biasing a BJT Class A amplifier involves selecting a bias current to place the circuit in a specific operating region. This allows the output voltage to swing between the supply voltage limits with minimal distortion. The bias current is usually chosen based on factors such as load resistance and desired output voltage levels. While some circuits may use current sources for biasing, this is more commonly seen in Integrated Circuits rather than discrete circuits. Overall, biasing is necessary for achieving an undistorted and amplified output signal from an input sine wave.
b-rett
Can someone clarify the overall purpose and implications of biasing a BJT Class A amplifier? I just can't get my head wrapped around the entire purpose.

As far as I know, biasing the circuit will place it in a certain operating region, but I don't know the limits/implications of doing this.

Example from book: "Consider the operation of the emitter follower circuit for sine-wave input. Neglecting V_CEsat we see that if the bias current I is properly selected, the output voltage can swing from -V_CC to +V_CC with the quiescent value being zero."

What constitues a "properly selected" bias current I and why does this gave way to the output being able to swing between -V_CC and +V_CC?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have a look at this circuit and graph:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/Voltage%20amplifier.PNG

You can see that if the input voltage is gradually increased, the output stays the same (12 V) for a while then starts to drop until the output is zero.

Quite a small change in voltage (0.6 V to 1.1 V) caused the change in output from 12 volts to zero. So, it works as an amplifier.

But what if you had a sinewave you wanted to amplify?
Sinewaves swing positive and negative.
If you just used a sinewave at the input, you would get output variation only for the small input range of +0.6 volts to +1.1 volts. All the negative part of the sinewave would be lost and a lot of the positive half. The output would be very distorted.

The best way to do this would be to set the zero point of the sinewave at about 0.85 volts and then vary the sinewave around this level. This is biasing.

Suppose you did this and varied the sinewave from 0.7 v to 1 v. You can see that the output would vary from about 10 volts to about 2 volts and it would be an undistorted sinewave but amplified to be bigger than the input.

This is all that biasing does. It tries to make sure that the output will be an undistorted version of the input.

Last edited by a moderator:
makes sense now.

i see biasing often done with current sources usually at the emitter of the npn. is there a way to easily choose this bias current to design for a specific transfer function with respect to changing input voltage, or does it require a small signal model and calculating the overall gain and manipulating impedance for pole/zero?

i see biasing often done with current sources usually at the emitter of the npn. is there a way to easily choose this bias current to design for a specific transfer function with respect to changing input voltage, or does it require a small signal model and calculating the overall gain and manipulating impedance for pole/zero?

The gain of an amplifier is not normally set by the bias current. It is a function of the characteristics of the transistor (which you have little control over) and the load resistance.

The bias current is usually dictated by these factors.

For example, if the load resistor has already been chosen, the bias current is selected to give a collector to emitter voltage of about half of the supply voltage. This way, the output voltage can swing equally in each direction.

i see biasing often done with current sources usually at the emitter of the npn.
I don't think I have seen this. Could you give an example?

ex this amplifier which is biased by I from Q2.

Attachments

• eg.JPG
    eg.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 517
Yes, I have seen that circuit, but it is very rarely used.

Usually a resistor works OK.

vk6kro said:
Yes, I have seen that circuit, but it is very rarely used.

Usually a resistor works OK.

That's certainly true for discrete circuits, where resistors are usually cheaper than transistors, and possibly more reliable.

By contrast, current source biasing is more commonly used within Integrated Circuits. This is partly because moderate to large value integrated resistors are relatively bulky compared to transistors. It is also possible to obtain a number of related bias currents by a technique called current mirroring, which can allow useful features like adjustable speed/power trade-offs.

This circuit is really more of a substitute load than a biasing component.

You still have to arrange biasing to Q1's base.

1. What is the purpose of BJT biasing in Class A circuits?

The purpose of BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) biasing in Class A circuits is to establish the correct operating point for the transistor, ensuring that it is conducting current continuously and linearly.

2. Why is Class A biasing preferred over other biasing methods?

Class A biasing is preferred because it results in the highest linearity and lowest distortion of the output signal. It also allows for the largest output swing and best signal-to-noise ratio.

3. What components are used in BJT biasing for Class A circuits?

The main components used in BJT biasing for Class A circuits are resistors and a DC power supply. A resistor is used to set the base bias voltage, while another resistor is used to provide the necessary collector current.

4. How does BJT biasing affect the stability of a circuit?

BJT biasing is critical for maintaining the stability of a circuit. If the biasing is not set correctly, the transistor may not be biased into its active region and can become unstable, leading to distortion and potential damage to the transistor.

5. Can Class A biasing be used for all types of BJT circuits?

No, Class A biasing is typically used for small-signal amplifiers. For larger power amplifiers, alternative biasing methods such as Class AB or Class B may be more suitable due to their higher efficiency.