Black Hole Evaporation: Confusing Red Particle & Time Dilation

In summary, black hole evaporation is a phenomenon that occurs when a black hole emits particles and energy, causing it to gradually lose mass and eventually disappear. This process is accompanied by confusing red particles, which are a result of the high temperatures and strong gravitational forces within the black hole. Additionally, the concept of time dilation plays a crucial role in black hole evaporation, as it causes time to slow down near the event horizon, leading to further confusion and complexity in understanding this phenomenon.
Narasoma
HawkingRadiation.jpg

This picture confuses me. It showed here that the red particle at top right get suck into the black hole. But to a distant observer, everything near the black hole get time dilation and finally freeze at the horizon, right? So, "when" the black hole evaporates?
Moreover, why the black hole likes the particle with negative energy (in order to evaporate) rather than the one with positive energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Narasoma said:
This picture confuses me.

It's a heuristic picture at best, and is not really a good one to use to draw conclusions from.

Narasoma said:
But to a distant observer, everything near the black hole get time dilation and finally freeze at the horizon, right?

No. Things near the hole appear to a distant observer to have time dilation, but that's an optical illusion caused by the increased time it takes light to get out from the region close to the horizon. The objects themselves, near the hole, don't feel any "time dilation"; they can fall into the hole perfectly normally.

Narasoma said:
why the black hole likes the particle with negative energy (in order to evaporate) rather than the one with positive energy?

The short answer is, because only a positive energy particle can fly away and escape; a negative energy particle can't. But, as I said above, this whole picture of positive and negative energy particles is heuristic at best, and if it confuses you, the best thing to do is to throw it away and just think of black hole evaporation as a quantum field process in curved spacetime, without trying to impose a (strained) particle interpretation.

PeterDonis said:
No. Things near the hole appear to a distant observer to have time dilation, but that's an optical illusion caused by the increased time it takes light to get out from the region close to the horizon. The objects themselves, near the hole, don't feel any "time dilation"; they can fall into the hole perfectly normally.

I don't think that the difference point of view between those observers are being considered as optical illusion. In fact, time dilation happens to inertial observers (in SR) too. Some people said, this is a black hole paradox...

PeterDonis said:
The short answer is, because only a positive energy particle can fly away and escape; a negative energy particle can't. But, as I said above, this whole picture of positive and negative energy particles is heuristic at best, and if it confuses you, the best thing to do is to throw it away and just think of black hole evaporation as a quantum field process in curved spacetime, without trying to impose a (strained) particle interpretation.

Ah, I'm not finish with elementary quantum mechanics yet, let alone QFT. So, when I reach a certain level, I'll come back to this...

@Narasoma, it is based on a misconception fostered unfortunately by Hawking himself who has said that his whole heuristic of virtual particles explaining Hawking Radiation was just the only way he could think of to translate into English something that really can only be understood in math. He did this for popular science explanations and it is not refereed to that way in serious physics discussions.

Narasoma said:
In fact, time dilation happens to inertial observers (in SR) too.
No, in fact it does not. It does not happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere. It is only something perceived by a person in a different frame of reference, never to an object itself.

phinds said:
@Narasoma, it is based on a misconception fostered unfortunately by Hawking himself who has said that his whole heuristic of virtual particles explaining Hawking Radiation was just the only way he could think of to translate into English something that really can only be understood in math. He did this for popular science explanations and it is not refereed to that way in serious physics discussions.

Could you give me the math behind black hole evaporation?

phinds said:
No, in fact it does not. It does not happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere. It is only something perceived by a person in a different frame of reference, never to an object itself.

I mean, our measurement results of length and elapsed time could be different, and it's depend on our frame. Right?

I've always felt black hole evaporation is better thought of as a quantum tunneling process than pair creation. In this case, there is no ambiguity as to why it's only the positive energy particle that escapes. The thermodynamic characteristics also follow naturally from this approach.

Also, it should be noted that a more modern view is that Hawking radiation does not come from the horizon itself, but rather from a region on the order of the Schwarzschild radius from the horizon (the black hole "atmosphere"). See e.g. Steve Giddings' work on the subject: http://arxiv.org/abs/1511.08221

Related to Black Hole Evaporation: Confusing Red Particle & Time Dilation

1. What is black hole evaporation?

Black hole evaporation is the theoretical process by which a black hole gradually loses its mass and energy over time. This phenomenon is based on the concept of Hawking radiation, where virtual particles are created at the event horizon of a black hole and one particle falls into the black hole, while the other escapes, carrying energy away with it.

2. How is red particle confusing in the process of black hole evaporation?

The red particle, also known as the anti-particle, is the particle that escapes the event horizon of a black hole during Hawking radiation. This particle carries energy away from the black hole, causing it to gradually lose its mass. However, the red particle is often referred to as "confusing" because it is difficult to detect and study, making it challenging for scientists to fully understand the process of black hole evaporation.

3. What is time dilation in relation to black hole evaporation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon where time passes at different rates for objects in different gravitational fields. In the case of black hole evaporation, time dilation occurs as the black hole loses mass and its gravitational pull weakens, causing time to pass more quickly for an observer outside the black hole compared to an observer near the event horizon.

4. Can black holes eventually disappear due to evaporation?

Yes, it is possible for a black hole to completely evaporate over a very long period of time. As the black hole loses mass through Hawking radiation, it will eventually reach a point where it can no longer sustain itself and will evaporate completely, leaving behind only the energy that was once contained within it.

5. What is the significance of studying black hole evaporation?

Studying black hole evaporation can provide valuable insights into the behavior of gravity, as well as the fundamental laws of physics. It can also help us better understand the origins and evolution of the universe, as black holes play a crucial role in the formation and dynamics of galaxies and other cosmic structures.