Black Hole Formation Sequence: Time in the Equations?

In summary, the conversation discussed questions about the specifics of black hole formation, particularly the time it takes for a black hole to form. The equations suggest that it takes less than a second, but the source of this statement is not clear. The conversation also mentioned the Oppenheimer-Snyder solution as a resource for understanding the math behind black hole formation. However, for a better understanding of the physics involved, it is recommended to refer to textbooks or peer-reviewed papers.
Funestis
Hello all,

To my knowledge, there are still a lot of questions regarding the specifics of black hole formation. My question is in regards to formation time. I've read that the actual formation takes "less than a second" according to the equations. Does anyone know where time shows up in the black hole formation equations or where this statement derives from? I'm not familiar with the specifics of the black hole formation sequence but if anyone has any resources I'd be grateful for them.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Funestis said:
I've read

Where? Please give a specific reference.

Try googling for "Oppenheimer Snyder Solution"; this is the solution of the equations of general relativity for an idealized gravitational collapse.

Funestis said:
Neglecting the less than reputable sources (like Yahoo answers), here

These are still not textbooks or peer-reviewed papers, which are the sources you need to look at if you want to understand the actual physics involved. The short answer is that the times quoted in those articles are how long the collapse would take according to a clock carried by an observer riding on the surface of the collapsing matter. But to see how that works out in the math, you need to look at the Oppenheimer-Snyder solution, as Nugatory suggested. This solution is discussed in MTW; I don't know if other GR textbooks go into detail about it.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you guys!

1. How do black holes form?

Black holes form when a massive star runs out of nuclear fuel and collapses under its own gravity. This collapse causes the star's core to become incredibly dense, creating a powerful gravitational pull that sucks in surrounding matter and forms a singularity at the center.

2. What is the role of time in the equations of black hole formation?

Time plays a crucial role in the equations of black hole formation, as it is a key factor in determining the size and properties of the resulting black hole. The longer a star takes to collapse, the larger the resulting black hole will be. Additionally, time dilation near the event horizon of a black hole can cause time to slow down significantly for an outside observer.

3. How does the mass of a star affect the formation of a black hole?

The mass of a star is directly related to the formation of a black hole. The more massive a star is, the greater its gravitational pull and the more likely it is to collapse into a black hole. In general, stars with masses at least three times that of the sun are believed to have the potential to form black holes.

4. Can anything escape from a black hole?

According to current theories, nothing can escape from a black hole once it has crossed the event horizon. This includes light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making black holes invisible to the naked eye. However, some theories suggest that information may be able to escape from black holes through quantum processes.

5. Are black holes eternal?

In theory, black holes are eternal in the sense that they do not have a finite lifespan. However, due to the process of Hawking radiation, black holes are believed to slowly lose mass over time and eventually evaporate completely. This process is incredibly slow, so for all practical purposes, black holes can be considered eternal.