Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bleach and vinegar

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1
    I am new to this so I don't know if I am doing this right, I have some questions. In the building I work they put 1c. of bleach and 1c. of vinegar in a quart jar and set this out in several areas in the building over the weekend and then dump it out on Monday morning. Except in the basement it is left out until it evaporates. My questions are, what is this doing to the air, and is it absorbing into the furniture and other things in the building? This practice has been going for several years.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2008 #2
    That...sounds really unhealthy. Especially in the basement. Bleach + Acid = Chlorine gas (remember; vinegar contains acetic acid). Which no doubt is great at killing bacteria, mold, etc. in the building, but sort of has that pesky problem of being a major health risk to the humans working there as well....

I do hope OSHA knows they're doing this and it's being controlled in some manner so as not to be a health risk.

4. Mar 18, 2008 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's gotta be bad for electronic equipment! Are they worried about mold and mildew in the bldg?

5. Mar 18, 2008 #4
    Yeah, can't chlorine corrode even aluminum and stainless steel if it's on them for an extended period of time?

6. Mar 18, 2008 #5
    yes, they put it out for mold and mildew

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?