Max Accel & Force for Mass Block & Cart

In summary: This force will be larger than 10.29N. In summary, the maximum acceleration for the block not to slide on the cart is 6.86 m/s^2 and the magnitude of the force required on the cart to provide this acceleration is greater than 10.29 N.
PhysicslyDSBL

Homework Statement

A block of mass mblock = 1.5 kg rests on a cart of mass mcart = 3.5 kg, which moves without friction on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the cart is µ = 0.7. The cart is accelerating to the right.

a) What is the maximum acceleration such that the block does not slide on the cart?

b) What is the magnitude of the force on the cart required to provide the acceleration amax?

Homework Equations

a) and b) F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I got a by taking the mass of the block and multiplying it by gravity ---> 1.5*9.8=14.7N
Then I took 14.7N and multiplied that by mew ---> 14.7*0.7 = 10.29
I then took this number, and divided it by the mass of the block --->
10.29/1.5 = 6.86 m/s^2

So 6.86m/s^2 is the max acceleration so wouldn't this make 10.29 the magnitude of the force required to provide the acceleration for amax?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PhysicslyDSBL,

PhysicslyDSBL said:

Homework Statement

A block of mass mblock = 1.5 kg rests on a cart of mass mcart = 3.5 kg, which moves without friction on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the cart is µ = 0.7. The cart is accelerating to the right.

a) What is the maximum acceleration such that the block does not slide on the cart?

b) What is the magnitude of the force on the cart required to provide the acceleration amax?

Homework Equations

a) and b) F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I got a by taking the mass of the block and multiplying it by gravity ---> 1.5*9.8=14.7N
Then I took 14.7N and multiplied that by mew ---> 14.7*0.7 = 10.29
I then took this number, and divided it by the mass of the block --->
10.29/1.5 = 6.86 m/s^2

So 6.86m/s^2 is the max acceleration so wouldn't this make 10.29 the magnitude of the force required to provide the acceleration for amax?

That is the required force on the cup to give it an acceleration of amax. But they want the required force on the cart to give the entire system an acceleration of amax.

Your approach and calculations seem to be correct. The maximum acceleration that the cart can have without the block sliding is 6.86 m/s^2. This means that the magnitude of the force required to provide this acceleration is 10.29 N. It is important to note that this force is the maximum force that can be applied without causing the block to slide. Any force greater than this value would cause the block to slide.

1. What is "Max Accel & Force for Mass Block & Cart"?

"Max Accel & Force for Mass Block & Cart" refers to the maximum acceleration and force that can be applied to a block and cart system before the cart starts to slide or the block starts to tip over.

2. How is "Max Accel & Force for Mass Block & Cart" calculated?

"Max Accel & Force for Mass Block & Cart" is calculated using Newton's second law of motion (F=ma) and the coefficient of friction between the block and cart and the surface they are on.

3. Why is "Max Accel & Force for Mass Block & Cart" important?

Knowing the maximum acceleration and force that can be applied to a block and cart system is important in order to ensure the system doesn't fail or become unstable. It is also useful for designing and optimizing systems for specific tasks.

4. Can "Max Accel & Force for Mass Block & Cart" be increased?

Yes, "Max Accel & Force for Mass Block & Cart" can be increased by reducing the mass of the block and cart, increasing the coefficient of friction, or by using a more powerful force.

5. Are there any real-world applications for "Max Accel & Force for Mass Block & Cart"?

Yes, "Max Accel & Force for Mass Block & Cart" is relevant in various fields such as engineering, physics, and robotics. It is used in designing and optimizing systems for conveyor belts, elevators, and robotic arms, among others.