1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block on incline with air resistance, no friction

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A textbook of mass m = 1.24 kg starts at rest on a
    frictionless inclined plane (angle  = 30◦). Although there is
    no friction, suppose there is a drag force (due to air resistance)
    acting on the book which is proportional to the speed squared
    and is described by the equation F = kmv2, where k = 0.86
    m−1. How much time does it take for the textbook to slide a
    distance d = 1.65 m down the plane? (Hint: This one is tricky,
    you will need to solve the integral by hand using a hyperbolic
    trig substitution.)

2. Relevant equations

Just F=m*a
    drag force = k*m*v^2

3. The attempt at a solution

So the mass keeps canceling on me whenever I run the problem, don't know if I actually need it for this one. I changed my coordinate system so positive x was parallel to the incline and positive y was perpendicular to it.

Forces are gravity broken in componets now, normal force only acting in positive y, canceled out by gravities y component. drag force in -x direction and +x component of gravity.
    Vf= final velocity
    y- direction F=ma
    F= 0, its moving down the incline

x - direction F= ma
    m*g*cos(theata)-k*m*v^2 = m dv/dt
    solve it for time with given conditions and I got
    T = (1/(Sqrt[g*sin(theata)*k])*ArcTanh[Sqrt[k/(g*sin(theata))]*Vf]

Switch the beginning equation to m*g*cos(theata)-k*m*v^2 = m*v* dv/dx and solve for the distance given the distance yields:
    x = (1/2*k)*Ln((g*sin(theata)-k*Vf^2)/(g*sin(theata)))
    Solve that equation for Vf yields:
    Vf = Sqrt[(g*sin(theata)/k)*(1-e^(2*k*x))/k)
    Sub into T equation and get:
    T = (1/(Sqrt[g*sin(theata)*k])*ArcTanh(1-e^(2*k*x))

I keep getting very small times less than one and complex numbers which I feel are wrong, well its telling me they are wrong. I might have set it up wrong when defining my coordinate system or something. if someone can help me that would be awesome, even if its on a regular defined coordinate axes.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2013 #2
    It's an old post so I'm not sure if you still want advice, but I think the issue comes with your second diff eq you set up to solve for the distance.

You can save a lot of work and simply turn your first diff eq into a function of distance right off the bat by using derivatives of ##x(t)## in place of ##v## and ##a##. This can be integrated without trouble given 2 initial conditions on velocity and position. From there, you should have a function ##x(t)## that you can use to plug in your numbers and numerically invert. It seemed to give a reasonable real value for time when I worked it out.

4. Sep 14, 2013 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You miss a negative sign in front of the right-hand side.

The data might be wrong. The speed can not exceed √(gsinθ/k), but the value obtained with the given d and k does.
    ehild

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted