Is Equating Energies a Better Solution for Finding Extension Under Spring Force?

In summary, the problem involves an 8 kg mass hanging from a spring and stretching it by 16 cm beyond its natural length. The solution involves equating the force of gravity and the force of the spring, and also considering the conservation of energy.
Prabs3257
Homework Statement
An 8 kg mass hangs from a spring and and stretches it by 16 cm beyond its natural lenght find k of the spring
Relevant Equations
F=kx
Its a very basic problem and my friend suggested a solution that we should equate mg and kx ie mg=kx and just plug in m=8 and x=0.16 but i think that we should equate the energies like mgx=1/2kx^2 ie because at the point where mg will be equal to kx the mass will still have a velocity hence it will not be the final extension am i correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
Prabs3257 said:
Homework Statement: An 8 kg mass hangs from a spring and and stretches it by 16 cm beyond its natural length find k of the spring
Homework Equations: F=kx

Its a very basic problem and my friend suggested a solution that we should equate mg and kx ie mg=kx and just plug in m=8 and x=0.16 but i think that we should equate the energies like mgx=1/2kx^2 ie because at the point where mg will be equal to kx the mass will still have a velocity hence it will not be the final extension am i correct??
It "hangs from", not "is attached to and then released", so it describes a static condition.

Oh ok now i get it thanks

haruspex said:
It "hangs from", not "is attached to and then released", so it describes a static condition.
if it was written is attatched to and then released then we would conserve energy right ?? If yes then Coz of the same reason i gave right ??

Prabs3257 said:
if it was written is attatched to and then released then we would conserve energy right ?? If yes then Coz of the same reason i gave right ??
Yes, if we read the given extension as being the maximum.

Likes Prabs3257

1. What is equating energies in relation to finding extension under spring force?

Equating energies is a method used in physics to determine the position or extension of a spring under a given amount of force. It involves setting the potential energy of the spring equal to the kinetic energy of the object attached to the spring, and solving for the unknown variable.

2. How does equating energies compare to other methods of finding extension under spring force?

Equating energies is considered a more accurate and reliable method compared to other methods, such as using Hooke's Law, because it takes into account the potential energy stored in the spring and the kinetic energy of the object. This results in a more precise calculation of the extension of the spring.

3. Are there any limitations to using equating energies for finding extension under spring force?

While equating energies is a useful method, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the spring is ideal and that there is no energy lost due to friction or other external factors. It also may not be applicable to all situations, such as when the force applied to the spring is constantly changing.

4. Can equating energies be used for any type of spring force?

Yes, equating energies can be used for any type of spring force, including both elastic and non-elastic springs. It is a general method that can be applied to any situation where a spring is involved.

5. How is equating energies calculated and solved?

To equate energies, the potential energy of the spring is set equal to the kinetic energy of the object attached to the spring: 1/2kx^2 = 1/2mv^2. From there, the unknown variable (in this case, the extension of the spring, x) can be solved for. This can be done using basic algebraic equations and principles.