1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blocks attached with spring is released from rest

1. Feb 7, 2015 #1
    1. Consider the situation shown in figure. Initially the spring is unstretched when the system is released from rest. Assuming no friction in the pulley, find the maximum elongation of the spring. Screenshot_from_2015_02_07_19_38_52.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3FvaDRwJ2neQWtBU3JrazVTeEU/view?usp=sharing

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that i can solve this problem by energy conservation.
    mgx=1/2*k*x^2
    so x=2mg/k

But i was thinking why can't we solve this problem by balancing of force.
    mg=kx
    so x=mg/k

because spring will stretched untll mg=kx

Please tell me where i am wrong in this

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

mg = kx locates the equilibrium point if the system were to come to rest. However, released from a height where the system is not at equilibrium, as the mass falls the system gains kinetic energy from the change in gravitational potential energy. It will shoot by the equilibrium point. In fact the system will continue to oscillate around the equilibrium point so long as there are no energy losses.

4. Feb 7, 2015 #3
    ok i got it now. it will shoot by the equilibrium point. thats why balancing of force was giving less elongation. so should i do these type of problem by energy conservation and not by balancing of force.

5. Feb 7, 2015 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

When it's at it's equilibrium, there is no acceleration (which is what you solved for) but when it is at it's maximum elongation, the block is accelerating upwards (so the spring force is greater than mg). That's why using energy would be the way to go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted