Blocks attached with spring is released from rest

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spring and a mass released from rest. The question is to find the maximum elongation of the spring assuming no friction in the pulley. The solution can be approached by balancing forces or using energy conservation, but balancing forces results in a smaller elongation because the system will oscillate around the equilibrium point. Therefore, using energy conservation is the preferred method for solving this type of problem.
lavankohsa
1. Consider the situation shown in figure. Initially the spring is unstretched when the system is released from rest. Assuming no friction in the pulley, find the maximum elongation of the spring.
Screenshot_from_2015_02_07_19_38_52.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3FvaDRwJ2neQWtBU3JrazVTeEU/view?usp=sharing

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that i can solve this problem by energy conservation.
mgx=1/2*k*x^2
so x=2mg/k

But i was thinking why can't we solve this problem by balancing of force.
mg=kx
so x=mg/k

because spring will stretched untll mg=kx

Please tell me where i am wrong in this[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
mg = kx locates the equilibrium point if the system were to come to rest. However, released from a height where the system is not at equilibrium, as the mass falls the system gains kinetic energy from the change in gravitational potential energy. It will shoot by the equilibrium point. In fact the system will continue to oscillate around the equilibrium point so long as there are no energy losses.

Likes lavankohsa
ok i got it now. it will shoot by the equilibrium point. that's why balancing of force was giving less elongation. so should i do these type of problem by energy conservation and not by balancing of force.

lavankohsa said:
ok i got it now. it will shoot by the equilibrium point. that's why balancing of force was giving less elongation. so should i do these type of problem by energy conservation and not by balancing of force.
When it's at it's equilibrium, there is no acceleration (which is what you solved for) but when it is at it's maximum elongation, the block is accelerating upwards (so the spring force is greater than mg). That's why using energy would be the way to go.

Likes lavankohsa

Related to Blocks attached with spring is released from rest

1. What is the law governing the motion of blocks attached with a spring?

The law that governs the motion of blocks attached with a spring is known as Hooke's Law. This law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

2. What is the equilibrium position of a block attached with a spring?

The equilibrium position of a block attached with a spring is the position where the net force acting on the block is zero. This means that the force exerted by the spring is equal and opposite to the force of gravity acting on the block.

3. How is the period of oscillation affected by the mass of the block attached with a spring?

The period of oscillation of a block attached with a spring is not affected by the mass of the block. This is because the period only depends on the stiffness of the spring and the force constant, which are independent of the mass of the block.

4. What factors affect the amplitude of oscillation of a block attached with a spring?

The amplitude of oscillation of a block attached with a spring is affected by the initial displacement of the block from its equilibrium position and the energy stored in the spring. A larger initial displacement or a higher energy stored in the spring will result in a larger amplitude of oscillation.

5. How does the release point of a block attached with a spring affect its motion?

The release point of a block attached with a spring does not affect its motion. This is because the motion of the block is solely determined by the properties of the spring and the initial conditions such as displacement and velocity. The release point only determines the initial conditions of the motion.