How to Calculate the Angle for a Boat Crossing a River with a Current?

• Thread starter bajangal1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat River
In summary, the angle required to travel across the river at 4.0 km/h is 30 degrees relative to the actual path.
bajangal1

Homework Statement

A boat that can travel at 4.0km/h in still water crosses a river with a current of 2.0 km/h. At what angle must the boat be pointed upstream (that is, relative to its actual path) to go straight across the river?

Homework Equations

No equations were given but it seems like a simple trig problem, just can't get the right answer

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt i used inverse tan theta (4/2) and got an angle of 63
My second attempt i used inverse cos theta (2/4) and got an angle of 60

the actual answer is 30. Either there is a very big step I'm missing or I've drawn something horribly wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
bajangal1 said:

Homework Statement

A boat that can travel at 4.0km/h in still water crosses a river with a current of 2.0 km/h. At what angle must the boat be pointed upstream (that is, relative to its actual path) to go straight across the river?

Homework Equations

No equations were given but it seems like a simple trig problem, just can't get the right answer

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt i used inverse tan theta (4/2) and got an angle of 63
My second attempt i used inverse cos theta (2/4) and got an angle of 60

the actual answer is 30. Either there is a very big step I'm missing or I've drawn something horribly wrong.

The first thing to determine is which angle is meant. Is the angle measured from the bank of the river to the boat's velocity vector, or is it measured from a line perpendicular to the bank? After that it's a matter of drawing the diagram and labeling the appropriate sides with the given information.

Ok i think i was drawing it wrong. i drew it differently and used sin inverse (2/4) and got the right answer. thanks!

1. How does a boat go up a river?

A boat goes up a river by using a combination of its engine or sails and the natural flow of the river. The boat must navigate against the current of the river, which requires careful steering and use of the boat's propulsion system.

2. What factors affect a boat's ability to go up a river?

The main factors that affect a boat's ability to go up a river include the strength and direction of the river's current, the size and power of the boat's engine or sails, and the skill of the person operating the boat.

3. Is it more difficult for a boat to go up a river than down a river?

Generally, it is more difficult for a boat to go up a river than down a river. This is because the boat must overcome the current of the river and steer against it, which requires more effort and skill from the boat operator.

4. Can all types of boats go up a river?

Most types of boats can go up a river, but some may be better suited for this task than others. For example, smaller boats with powerful engines or sails may have an easier time navigating against the current of a river compared to larger boats with less power.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when going up a river in a boat?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when going up a river in a boat. These include checking the weather and water conditions before setting out, wearing appropriate safety gear, and being aware of potential hazards such as rocks or strong currents in the river.