Calculating Boiling Point Elevation for a Solution with Dissociating Solutes

In summary, the boiling point of a solution containing 1.25 mol CaCl_2 in 1400g of water is determined using the boiling point elevation equation, \Delta T = imK_b, taking into account the fact that CaCl_2 dissociates in water to form ions. The effective molality is calculated by multiplying the molality by the Van't Hoff Factor, i, which is 2 for CaCl_2. This results in a molality of 0.893 molal, which can be used to recalculate the boiling point and provide the desired answer.
philistinesin
Here's the question:

What is the boiling point of a solution that contains 1.25 mol [tex]CaCl_2[/tex] in 1400g of water?

Now, I know that I have to take into account the fact that [tex]CaCl_2[/tex] disassociates in water to form ions.

I thought the effective molality here would be 3 * 1.75 m since there are 3 ions. But, the book saids it's 2 * 1.75 m.

I'm confused as to why that is.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Use your boiling point elevation equation [tex]\Delta T = imK_b[/tex]

The reason why the molality is what it should be has to do with the 'Van't Hoff Factor', i, which is multiplied by the molality of the solution to get the 'effective' molality.

Last edited:
Molality, if I'm remembering it correctly, is defined as the mole amount of a solution whose solvent weighs 1000 grams. So the CaCl2 solution you are dealing with is of 0.893 molal. So a recalculation and using this value may give the answer you're looking for.

Related to Calculating Boiling Point Elevation for a Solution with Dissociating Solutes

What is the boiling point of a solution?

The boiling point of a solution is the temperature at which the solution changes from a liquid to a gas. It is affected by the amount and type of solute dissolved in the solution.

How does the boiling point of a solution differ from that of a pure solvent?

The boiling point of a solution is typically higher than that of a pure solvent. This is due to the presence of solute particles, which disrupt the attractive forces between solvent molecules and require more energy to overcome.

What factors affect the boiling point of a solution?

The boiling point of a solution is affected by the concentration of solute, the type of solute, and the pressure of the surrounding environment. It can also be affected by other factors such as altitude and impurities in the solvent.

How does boiling point elevation relate to the concentration of a solution?

Boiling point elevation is a phenomenon in which the boiling point of a solution is higher than that of a pure solvent. It is directly related to the concentration of the solution, as a higher concentration of solute particles leads to a greater boiling point elevation.

Can the boiling point of a solution be lowered?

Yes, the boiling point of a solution can be lowered by adding a volatile solute or by decreasing the pressure of the surrounding environment. This is known as boiling point depression and is commonly used in industrial processes such as distillation.