1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Book on Mathematics of QM

1. Jan 30, 2015 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I want to read a book on mathematics behind QM and by that, I don't mean just functional analysis. Its been a long time that I hear about things like *-algebra, C*-algebra, Weyl algebra, Heisenberg group, Stone-von Neumann theorem and things like these and I want to understand them. Can anyone suggest a book that covers them?
    At this point I prefer a physics-style math book on these but real-math books are OK too.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Jan 30, 2015 #3
    I'm currently trying to get through https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mechanics-Mathematicians-Graduate-Mathematics/dp/0821846302. It includes these topics in its contents, and so far has been satisfyingly rigorous and readable, as long as you keep a blackboard or a pad of scratch paper handy.

5. Jan 30, 2015 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Not completely, but actually that's not what I want. Maybe I should've used a math prefix! The point is, I want to learn the things I mentioned in my first post and I want to learn them in the way people think about them today. My purpose is not just to help me learn QM better, I like the math because of the math too. But Dirac's book doesn't cover those subjects and also is a physics book. What I want, is at least a physics-style math book.

6. Jan 30, 2015 #5

ShayanJ

Gold Member

That's more like it, thanks. But I still appreciate if someone comes up with a book a bit more mathematical in nature!:D

7. Jan 31, 2015 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Brian Hall wrote his book: "Quantum Theory for Mathematicians" which is "stronger" than Takhtajan's. The most rigorous QM textbook is written by Galindo and Pascual (I'd recommend learning QM from it for a graduate text). Another good book is written by G. Folland: "Harmonic Analysis in Phase Space".

8. Feb 18, 2015 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

There's also the quantum volume of the four-volume mathematical-physics book by Thirring. Those strip off nearly all physics from the physics ;-)). Mathmeaticians must love it.

9. Feb 18, 2015 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted