What are some recommended books for understanding the mathematics of QM?

In summary, there are several recommended books for understanding the mathematics behind quantum mechanics, including:- "Quantum Theory for Mathematicians" by Brian Hall- "Quantum Mechanics" by Galindo and Pascual- "Harmonic Analysis in Phase Space" by G. Folland- "Mathematical Methods of Quantum Mechanics" by Thirring- Lecture notes by Woit and Strocchi also provide interesting approaches to the subject.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I want to read a book on mathematics behind QM and by that, I don't mean just functional analysis. Its been a long time that I hear about things like *-algebra, C*-algebra, Weyl algebra, Heisenberg group, Stone-von Neumann theorem and things like these and I want to understand them. Can anyone suggest a book that covers them?
At this point I prefer a physics-style math book on these but real-math books are OK too.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Shyan said:
I want to read a book on mathematics behind QM and by that, I don't mean just functional analysis. Its been a long time that I hear about things like *-algebra, C*-algebra, Weyl algebra, Heisenberg group, Stone-von Neumann theorem and things like these and I want to understand them. Can anyone suggest a book that covers them?
At this point I prefer a physics-style math book on these but real-math books are OK too.
Thanks
I'm currently trying to get through https://www.amazon.com/dp/0821846302/?tag=pfamazon01-20. It includes these topics in its contents, and so far has been satisfyingly rigorous and readable, as long as you keep a blackboard or a pad of scratch paper handy.

Last edited by a moderator:
jedishrfu said:
Have you read the classic by Dirac? It was the seminal book that put QM on a firm mathematical footing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198520115/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Not completely, but actually that's not what I want. Maybe I should've used a math prefix! The point is, I want to learn the things I mentioned in my first post and I want to learn them in the way people think about them today. My purpose is not just to help me learn QM better, I like the math because of the math too. But Dirac's book doesn't cover those subjects and also is a physics book. What I want, is at least a physics-style math book.

slider142 said:
I'm currently trying to get through https://www.amazon.com/dp/0821846302/?tag=pfamazon01-20. It includes these topics in its contents, and so far has been satisfyingly rigorous and readable, as long as you keep a blackboard or a pad of scratch paper handy.
That's more like it, thanks. But I still appreciate if someone comes up with a book a bit more mathematical in nature!:D

Brian Hall wrote his book: "Quantum Theory for Mathematicians" which is "stronger" than Takhtajan's. The most rigorous QM textbook is written by Galindo and Pascual (I'd recommend learning QM from it for a graduate text). Another good book is written by G. Folland: "Harmonic Analysis in Phase Space".

Likes ShayanJ
There's also the quantum volume of the four-volume mathematical-physics book by Thirring. Those strip off nearly all physics from the physics ;-)). Mathmeaticians must love it.

Likes ShayanJ
Likes ShayanJ

1. What is the purpose of a "Book on Mathematics of QM"?

The purpose of a "Book on Mathematics of QM" is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics. It covers topics such as linear algebra, complex analysis, and differential equations, which are essential for understanding the principles and applications of quantum mechanics.

2. Who is the target audience for a "Book on Mathematics of QM"?

The target audience for a "Book on Mathematics of QM" is primarily students and researchers in the fields of physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is also suitable for anyone with a strong background in mathematics who wants to deepen their understanding of quantum mechanics.

3. What topics are typically covered in a "Book on Mathematics of QM"?

A "Book on Mathematics of QM" typically covers topics such as vector spaces, linear operators, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, Hermitian operators, Dirac notation, quantum states, and quantum measurements. It may also include more advanced topics such as quantum entanglement and quantum information theory.

4. How does a "Book on Mathematics of QM" differ from a regular quantum mechanics textbook?

A "Book on Mathematics of QM" focuses specifically on the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics, whereas a regular quantum mechanics textbook may cover a broader range of topics including physical principles, experiments, and applications. The emphasis on mathematics in a "Book on Mathematics of QM" allows for a deeper understanding and more rigorous treatment of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading a "Book on Mathematics of QM"?

Yes, there are typically prerequisites for reading a "Book on Mathematics of QM". These may include a strong background in calculus, linear algebra, and complex analysis. Some familiarity with quantum mechanics concepts may also be helpful, but not always necessary as the book will cover these topics in detail.