Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books on this subject

1. Mar 14, 2006 #1
    Hello all, i am new here. First i would like to wish you all a happy Pi Day :)

Well... I am still a high-school sophomore, but i have had a huge interest in this field ever since i learned about atoms years and years ago. You can imagine the expression on my face when i first heard about particles that were even smaller and more intruiging. I love this type of physics, and one day i would like to be a Nuclear and/or Particle Physicist. But right now i am still in high-school and am trying to further my knowledge of the subject on my own. Which brings me to ask my question.

I have 2 books as of now about the subject, one and encyclopedia entitled Q is For Quantum. It's really informative and great for just randomly picking a page and learning a new concept/particle/definition/etc. Or when i need clarification or to look up something. My other book is entitled Deep Down Things, The Breathtaking Beauty of Particle Physics. This one is really good too, i only had trouble trying to comprehend 2 concepts in it. However i think i have a pretty good handle on things. I am almost done this one.

I want another. My thirst for knowledge is always growing. So i was wondering if anyone could make any recommendations. I would prefer a book that goes over the conceptual content but also throws in a bit of math (not too complicated math ;) ), which is where my book "drops the ball" so to speak. No math, a few equations but no problems or anything. So a book with problems with corresponding solutions and steps to solving.

Thanks so much for your time!

BTW - If you dont know Gluonium is also referred to as a Glueball. Which consists of a ball of gluons (as the name implies). This is still semi-theoretical. Scientists thought they discovered it about a decade ago but could not be sure. It only exists for about the time it takes for light to travel across the diameter of a single atomic nucleus!

Thanks again! :D
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted