Boost converter output voltage spike on startup

In summary, the conversation is about simulating a boost converter using multisim. The waveform at the start of the simulation spikes due to inrush current. The user is trying to add feedback using an MCU to control the duty cycle, but this is not a simple task for beginners. The conversation also discusses using a classic sawtooth-and-comparator style analog PWM control and experimenting with load modifications during the simulation. The possibility of the transient frequency being equal to the calculated resonance of the L and C components is also mentioned.
TheRedDevil18
I'm trying to simulate a boost converter using multisim. I get this waveform
upload_2017-3-6_22-41-39.png

Why does it spike like that at the start ?, is it because of the inrush current ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
TheRedDevil18 said:
I'm trying to simulate a boost converter using multisim. I get this waveform
View attachment 114189

Why does it spike like that at the start ?, is it because of the inrush current ?
Could you post the schematic and where your probe point is? Can you also post your full startup simulation waveforms? I'm still trying to figure out what that is that you posted.

It's the output voltage waveform from the oscilloscope
upload_2017-3-6_23-52-53.png

TheRedDevil18 said:
It's the output voltage waveform from the oscilloscope
View attachment 114194
I don't see any startup waveform there. It should go vrom 0V up to whatever your target voltage is, and it should take dozens of cycles at least to get there. Can you show the whole waveform from t=0 and V=0?

berkeman said:
I don't see any startup waveform there. It should go vrom 0V up to whatever your target voltage is, and it should take dozens of cycles at least to get there. Can you show the whole waveform from t=0 and V=0?

His measurement is ac coupled, but as you say, it's odd that the initial rise is missing.

OP, what you are seeing is typical of the inrush current caused by charging the dc bus capacitor. For this reason, most boost converters have a controlled startup sequence. You can find plenty of application notes about solutions.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Also, you don't show any closed-loop regulation control of the output voltage. Is that on purpose? You want to run this circuit open-loop and expect no overshoot or line regulation or load regulation issues?

EDIT/ADD -- @TheRedDevil18 -- I didn't mean that to sound aggressive. I'm just trying to understand what you are wanting to do. :smile:

Set your 'oscilloscope' in DC mode.
As the converter starts, the output voltage moves from 0 to ??V. This move has an AC component: with the oscilloscope in AC mode you can measure only this.
In DC mode you will see something like Berkeman linked in #7.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, this is my startup waveform with oscilloscope in DC mode
upload_2017-3-7_14-1-39.png

It rises from 8.2 V (not sure how, maybe its the simulator) to 38 V and then stabilizes to roughly 29.5 V. This converter is a 9 to 30 volt. I am planning on adding feedback using an mcu. Will that help ?

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-7_14-0-30.png
    upload_2017-3-7_14-0-30.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 618
TheRedDevil18 said:
It rises from 8.2 V (not sure how, maybe its the simulator) to 38 V and then stabilizes to roughly 29.5 V. This converter is a 9 to 30 volt. I am planning on adding feedback using an mcu. Will that help ?
Check the schematics: if no control for the FET, then you have closed current loop for the 9V source. It's expected to have a DC current => voltage drop on the resistor.

About the 29.5V: I think you forgot to design for the forward voltage of the diode.

To design an acceptable feedback is not easy.

TheRedDevil18 said:
I am planning on adding feedback using an mcu. Will that help ?
That should help, but as Rive says, it's not trivial. Still, it's very fun to learn about and use in practical circuits.

What is the switching frequency of the FET, BTW?

berkeman said:
That should help, but as Rive says, it's not trivial. Still, it's very fun to learn about and use in practical circuits.

What is the switching frequency of the FET, BTW?

Its 200kHz

What would be the simplest way to control the duty cycle ?, I am thinking of using a microcontroller as I think this would be much easier

TheRedDevil18 said:
What would be the simplest way to control the duty cycle ?, I am thinking of using a microcontroller as I think this would be much easier
I think it's more like a nightmare than fun, but Berkeman is right, you have to see it for yourself.
Since it's already a simulation, why don't you give a try to a classic sawtooth-and-comparator style analog PWM control? You can check the whole thing with that oscilloscope. Quite demonstrative.
Also, it's a good experience to modify the load while it's still running and see what it does.

Using a microcontroller for control is jut no good for beginners. You have to be familiar with applied control theory first.

Likes berkeman
TheRedDevil18 said:
Is the frequency you see in this transient equal to the calculated resonance of your L and C? (Maybe only roughly equal, because the capacitance of ordinary electrolytics has a very high tolerance, possibly a factor of 2.)

NascentOxygen said:
Is the frequency you see in this transient equal to the calculated resonance of your L and C? (Maybe only roughly equal, because the capacitance of ordinary electrolytics has a very high tolerance, possibly a factor of 2.)

Not too sure. I didnt calculate any resonance values. The inductor and capacitor in the simulation are ideal

Rive said:
I think it's more like a nightmare than fun, but Berkeman is right, you have to see it for yourself.
Since it's already a simulation, why don't you give a try to a classic sawtooth-and-comparator style analog PWM control? You can check the whole thing with that oscilloscope. Quite demonstrative.
Also, it's a good experience to modify the load while it's still running and see what it does.

Using a microcontroller for control is jut no good for beginners. You have to be familiar with applied control theory first.

I was thinking the microcontroller would be much easier. I am familiar with coding, so I would just use the MCU to generate a PWM and then use the ADC to sense the voltage and if this voltage goes above or below 30V then it would increase or decrease the duty cycle ?

TheRedDevil18 said:
I was thinking the microcontroller would be much easier. I am familiar with coding, so I would just use the MCU to generate a PWM and then use the ADC to sense the voltage and if this voltage goes above or below 30V then it would increase or decrease the duty cycle ?
Or use a specialized power controller like the one documented here: http://www.linear.com/product/LT3757.

1. What causes a boost converter output voltage spike on startup?

A boost converter output voltage spike on startup is caused by the sudden change in voltage and current when the converter is turned on. This can create a high inrush current that results in a temporary surge in the output voltage.

2. How can I prevent a boost converter output voltage spike on startup?

To prevent a boost converter output voltage spike on startup, you can use a soft-start circuit or a precharging circuit. These circuits gradually ramp up the voltage and current, reducing the inrush current and preventing a spike in the output voltage.

3. Can a boost converter output voltage spike damage my circuit?

Yes, a boost converter output voltage spike can potentially damage your circuit. The high voltage and current can cause components to overheat or fail, leading to permanent damage. It is important to address this issue to prevent any potential damage to your circuit.

4. How do I troubleshoot a boost converter output voltage spike on startup?

If you are experiencing a boost converter output voltage spike on startup, it is important to check your circuit for any potential issues. This can include checking for loose connections, improper component values, or inadequate grounding. You may also need to adjust the soft-start or precharging circuit to better control the output voltage spike.

5. Can I use a boost converter without a soft-start or precharging circuit?

While it is possible to use a boost converter without a soft-start or precharging circuit, it is not recommended. The inrush current and resulting voltage spike can potentially damage your circuit or cause other issues. It is best to incorporate these circuits into your design to prevent any potential problems.