Max Height & Initial Speed Calculation | Bottle Rocket Lab Help

In summary, the problem is to calculate the maximum height and initial speed of a rocket, with given equations and units. The equations used are d=1/2gt^2 and a=change in velocity/time. The calculations result in a maximum height of 52.1 meters and initial speed of 31.9 m/s. The significance of figures is also mentioned.
heatpro

Homework Statement

Calculate the maximum height and the initial speed of the rocket. Show The equaltions and then show your substitutions. The total flight time was 6.52 seconds. the height time will be expressed in meters and feet and the velocity will be expressed at m/s, feet/second, miles/hour, km/hour.

Homework Equations

d=1/2gt^2 - only when initial velocity is 0 and object is at free fall. So i would have to use
a=change in velocity/time
a=gravity
g = -v -(+v)/t ====> v = gt/-2

The Attempt at a Solution

d= h = 1/2(9.80m/s^2)(3.26s^2) = 52.1m - 3 sig figs when multiplying correct?

v= (-9.80m/s^2)(6.52s)/-2

v= 31.9m/s => again not sure on the significant figs part.

please tell me if i am doing this correctly. thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
bump its due tomorrow

1. How do I construct a bottle rocket for the lab?

To construct a bottle rocket, you will need a plastic bottle, a cork or rubber stopper, a tire valve stem, and some clay or modeling clay. Cut a small hole in the bottle cap and insert the valve stem. Secure it with clay. Then, fill the bottle about one-third full with water and tightly seal the cap. Your bottle rocket is now ready to launch.

2. What materials are needed for the bottle rocket lab?

In addition to the materials listed above, you will also need a launch pad (can be made from a piece of wood or cardboard), a bicycle pump, and a launch tube (can be made from a PVC pipe or cardboard tube). You may also want to have tape, scissors, and extra bottles on hand in case of any mishaps.

3. How do I calculate the optimal amount of water to use in my bottle rocket?

The optimal amount of water to use in your bottle rocket will depend on a few factors such as the size and shape of the bottle, the weight of the rocket, and the pressure used to launch it. A good rule of thumb is to start with about one-third of the bottle filled with water and adjust accordingly based on your results.

4. How do I launch the bottle rocket safely?

Safety should always be a top priority when conducting any science experiment. To launch the bottle rocket safely, make sure to have a designated launch area free of any obstacles or people. Stand a safe distance away and use a bicycle pump to gradually increase the pressure until the rocket launches. Always wear safety goggles and gloves when handling the rocket and pump.

5. How do I record and analyze the results of my bottle rocket lab?

To record and analyze the results of your bottle rocket lab, you will need to measure the height and distance the rocket traveled. You can do this by using a measuring tape or ruler and having someone help you mark the height and distance on the ground. You can also use a video camera to capture the launch and analyze the footage. Be sure to record all of your data and observations in a notebook or spreadsheet for further analysis.