Interpreting Parameters in Bouncing Ball Experiment

In summary: . initially, when the ball falls from rest, its height is determined by the quadratic equation: y = ax^2+bx+c. as the ball falls more, the height decreases, but according to your data, it seems like the height increases on every bounce. this doesnt make sense, since the height should be decreasing as the ball bounces more. what could be causing this discrepancy?
flower76
I'm working on a lab of a bouncing ball. I have been told to fit each free-fall interval using the quadratic equation which will give the values of a,b and c for y=ax^2+bx+c. Then I am to related this equation to the one for motion of a falling object y = yo + v0t + 1/2gt^2 and interpret the meaning of each parameter.

Based on this a is the acceleration due to gravity, b is the initial velocity, and c is the initial height.

But looking at the actual data collected for the ball bouncing, the numbers for b, and c are increasing with each bounce. This doesn't make sense since they should be decreasing if they represent initial velocity and height. I know I'm missing something here, but can't figure out what.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are probably modeling the height of the bounce as distance from the peak of the fall. As the ball bounces more and more, it loses height, thus its distance from the peak of the fall increases.

Initial velocity should be zero for each bounch though..

I think I see what your saying about the height, but I'm not sure that's it. The numbers for height of the final peak work out to somthing like 55 m. Which is definitely not a possibility any way you look at it. I think that past the first peak the values of b and c no longer represent the initial velocity and height. But I don't know what they are now.

Also in my lab it says that it should be expected to see the values of b increase. But it doesn't say why.

Any suggestions?

I couldn't tell ya, sorry.

why?

flower76 said:
I'm working on a lab of a bouncing ball. I have been told to fit each free-fall interval using the quadratic equation which will give the values of a,b and c for y=ax^2+bx+c. Then I am to related this equation to the one for motion of a falling object y = yo + v0t + 1/2gt^2 and interpret the meaning of each parameter.

Based on this a is the acceleration due to gravity, b is the initial velocity, and c is the initial height.

But looking at the actual data collected for the ball bouncing, the numbers for b, and c are increasing with each bounce. This doesn't make sense since they should be decreasing if they represent initial velocity and height. I know I'm missing something here, but can't figure out what.

Any suggestions?

where does the concept of "the initial height increases" come from?

empirically, if you bounce a ball, the "free fall" part of the bounce, which i'll take to mean, "from the apex of each parabolic arc until it hits the ground", the apex would be lower each time because of air resistance (which we could neglect as a first-order effect) and also due to momentum lost by the inelastic collision of the ball with the "ground" at the bottom of each bounce.

if the first drop of the ball fits the equations, on the first bounce it will rebound to a lower height (i.e., lower energy level) due to the lost energy of the collision with the ground. therefore, the highest point of the next arc must be lower than the height of the initial drop. when the first bounce completes and the ball hits the ground again, it loses more momentum/energy and bounces again to another lower max height.

if you can determine from the experimental data, the maximum height of each subsequent bounce, you can easily determine how much energy was lost upon the previous contact with the ground.

but again, that's probably a nice, but irrelevant, exercise. if your experimental data show the height of the peak of each bounce, from each of those max-height instants in time, the same equations will determine the y and x positions of the ball!

help ME! what am I missing?!
:smile:

its a funky experiment

Related to Interpreting Parameters in Bouncing Ball Experiment

1. How does the height of the ball affect the number of bounces it makes?

The height of the ball does not affect the number of bounces it makes. The number of bounces is determined by the initial force applied to the ball and the surface it bounces on.

2. Is the bouncing pattern of a ball consistent every time?

No, the bouncing pattern of a ball can vary depending on factors such as the surface it bounces on, the force applied, and any external forces acting on the ball.

3. How does the material of the ball affect its bounce?

The material of the ball can affect its bounce in several ways. A more elastic material will result in a higher bounce, while a less elastic material will result in a lower bounce. The surface of the ball can also affect its bounce, as a smoother surface will allow for a more consistent bounce.

4. Can the height of the bounce be predicted?

Yes, the height of the bounce can be predicted using the laws of physics and the initial conditions of the ball, such as its mass, velocity, and the surface it bounces on.

5. How does air resistance affect the bounce of a ball?

Air resistance can decrease the height of a ball's bounce due to the force it exerts on the ball as it moves through the air. However, for most everyday scenarios, the effect of air resistance on a bouncing ball is negligible.