Boundary conditions errantly applied to pressure across flui

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a pressure gradient across the boundary of two compressible fluids in equilibrium. The authors' assumptions suggest that the pressure is constant on either side of the interface, but there is a discrepancy in how this pressure is treated in equations (21) and (25). The questioner is unsure if this is an error in the paper and if there is a definition for the given value of pressure. There is a discussion about the continuity of pressure at the interface, with the conclusion that it should be constant and not discontinuous.
TheCanadian
I am trying to decipher if an error occurred in a calculation given in this paper.

It is understandable that if two compressible fluids of different uniform densities have a common interface (e.g. Figure 1), then to be in equilibrium and supported against gravity, there must be a pressure gradient across the boundary of the two fluids. Thus on either side of the boundary is a different pressure (i.e. pressure discontinuity). Based on reading the authors' assumptions, each fluid has a constant density and pressure (and thus sound speed) at equilibrium, but these values differ between the two fluids. Using simply (16) from the paper, I have calculated that the pressure difference across the boundary in equilibrium is given by: ##p_2 - p_1 = \frac {c^2}{4}(\rho_{01} - \rho_{02}) > 0## (where ##g## is a constant acceleration given by a static field) and thus non-zero.

In the paper, the authors solve the problem and essentially derive equations (21) and (25) which are evaluated on either side of the boundary. When plugging (21) into (25), what I fail to understand is why the pressure can be taken outside of the summation/difference across the boundary as indicated in (26)? They now treat the pressure, ##p##, as a given value yet it only has meaning on either side of the boundary as ##p_1## or ##p_2## to my knowledge. Thus is there an error in the paper? What is the definition of this ##p##? In the ensuing equations, the authors distinguish between the densities on either side of the boundary (i.e. ##\rho_{01}## and ##\rho_{02}##), but make no such distinctions about the pressure, which is now simply ##p## instead of ##p_1## and/or ##p_2## and I am failing to recognize the obvious reason(s) why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Who says that the pressure has to be discontinuous at the interface? Where did you get this idea? Only if the boundary is curved (so that surface tension comes into play) or when viscous stresses are significant can the pressure be discontinuous at the interface.

Chestermiller said:
Who says that the pressure has to be discontinuous at the interface? Where did you get this idea? Only if the boundary is curved (so that surface tension comes into play) or when viscous stresses are significant can the pressure be discontinuous at the interface.

I agree, the pressure should be constant on the interface and thus continuous. My only reason to question this was based on the paper stating the speed of sound is constant on either side of the interface. But if density is constant on either side of the interface, this would imply pressure is similarly constant on either side, although a pressure gradient is needed for force balance. Hence why the assumption of discontinuous pressure along the boundary which was alarming and suggesting a possible error. I suspect that the authors were not exactly suggesting the speed of sound is uniform throughout either fluid and this may have simply resulted in my misinterpretation of their wording. In the correct case, believe this would indicate a non-uniform temperature and thus a non-uniform pressure in either fluid to support this constant density in either fluid, where the density (and thus temperature) would be discontinuous along the interface, but not pressure.

Related to Boundary conditions errantly applied to pressure across flui

1. What are boundary conditions in fluid mechanics?

Boundary conditions refer to the set of physical conditions that must be satisfied at the boundaries of a fluid domain in order to accurately model fluid flow. These conditions can include parameters such as pressure, velocity, and temperature.

2. How are boundary conditions applied to pressure in fluid mechanics?

Boundary conditions for pressure are typically specified at the inlet and outlet boundaries of a fluid domain. These conditions can be either a fixed value or a function of other variables in the system. It is important to ensure that these boundary conditions are accurately applied in order to obtain meaningful results.

3. What happens if boundary conditions for pressure are errantly applied?

If boundary conditions for pressure are incorrectly applied, it can result in inaccurate predictions of fluid flow behavior. This can lead to significant errors in the overall solution and can potentially make the results unusable for practical applications.

4. How can one ensure that boundary conditions for pressure are accurately applied?

To ensure that boundary conditions for pressure are accurately applied, it is important to carefully review the physical system and understand the behavior of the fluid at the boundaries. It can also be helpful to perform sensitivity analyses to determine the impact of different boundary conditions on the overall solution.

5. Are there any common mistakes when applying boundary conditions to pressure in fluid mechanics?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that can occur when applying boundary conditions to pressure in fluid mechanics. These include using incorrect boundary conditions for the specific problem at hand, neglecting to account for the impact of boundary conditions on the overall solution, and not properly validating the boundary conditions with experimental data.