Bubble cavitation - what does a dash mean?

In summary: P'=PMany thanks for your help! The thing that confuses me is that the PV term for vapour pressure is in the same equation as the P':##P_{V}-\frac{2\sigma }{R_{0}}=P_{V}^{'}>(P_{h}-P_{a})##If the ##P_{V}^{'}## term expresses in part the vapour pressure then why is there a PV at the other side of the equation?
rwooduk
For a bubble in water in equilibrium the supporting forces due to pressure of the gas Pg and vapour Pv in the bubble must equal the crushing forces i.e. the hydrostatic forces Ph and those due to surface tension 2sigma/R0. So we have

##P_{v}+P_{g}=P_{h}+ \frac{2\sigma }{R_{0}}##

Now we apply ultrasound so the pressure in the liquid is now Ph + Pa where:

##P_{a}=P_{A} sin 2\pi ft##

BUT the ultrasound causes cavitation of the bubble! And when the bubble is largest we have:

##P_{V}>(P_{h}-P_{a}) + \frac{2\sigma }{R_{0}} - P_{g}##

Now my question, he writes the next equation as:

##P_{V}-\frac{2\sigma }{R_{0}}=P_{V}^{'}>(P_{h}-P_{a})##

BUT he doesn't define ##P_{V}^{'}## so I'm a little lost.

Could someone tell me what a dash would generally mean?

It's from p.61 of this paper:

http://gendocs.ru/docs/37/36518/conv_1/file1.pdf

Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that the link for your paper is correct?

I am sorry, gendocs.ru doesn't provide a direct link to the PDF from Scholar. Do you know the DOI of this article?

hmm sorry I tried to upload it here:

http://www.filedropper.com/12_7

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's just a conventional way to express the threshold value for the coupled vapor pressure and surface tension effects on cavitation.

Likes rwooduk
Do you mean the word "dash" or a dash like this "-" (a punctuation mark).
I cannot find it on page 61 of that document.

Serena said:
I think it's just a conventional way to express the threshold value for the coupled vapor pressure and surface tension effects on cavitation.

Many thanks for your help! The thing that confuses me is that the PV term for vapour pressure is in the same equation as the P':

##P_{V}-\frac{2\sigma }{R_{0}}=P_{V}^{'}>(P_{h}-P_{a})##

If the ##P_{V}^{'}## term expresses in part the vapour pressure then why is there a PV at the other side of the equation?

Thanks again for your help.

nasu said:
Do you mean the word "dash" or a dash like this "-" (a punctuation mark).
I cannot find it on page 61 of that document.

I mean a dash at the top of the symbol, in the paper P becomes P'

1. What is bubble cavitation?

Bubble cavitation is the formation and collapse of small, low-pressure bubbles in a liquid due to changes in pressure and temperature. This phenomenon can occur in various liquids, such as water and oil, and can have both positive and negative effects.

2. How does bubble cavitation occur?

Bubble cavitation occurs when the pressure in a liquid drops below the vapor pressure, causing bubbles to form. These bubbles then collapse when the pressure increases again, releasing energy in the form of shockwaves. This process is often repeated, leading to a continuous cycle of bubble formation and collapse.

3. What does the dash symbol mean in bubble cavitation?

The dash symbol in bubble cavitation represents a sudden drop in pressure, which can cause the formation of bubbles. It is often used in diagrams and charts to indicate the location of cavitation bubbles.

4. What are the impacts of bubble cavitation?

Bubble cavitation can have both positive and negative impacts. On one hand, it can be harnessed to create ultrasonic cleaning and welding processes. On the other hand, it can cause damage to machinery and structures, such as erosion and vibration, due to the shockwaves produced by the collapsing bubbles.

5. How is bubble cavitation studied and controlled?

Bubble cavitation is studied and controlled through various experimental and computational methods, such as high-speed imaging and numerical simulations. Additionally, different techniques, such as altering the liquid properties and using additives, can be used to control bubble cavitation in specific applications.